safebrew wb06 Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, just bottled a wheat the other day and can only speak from that experience. Aroma has a good balance of banana and clove. The taste is a bit tart though. I'm hoping it'll complement the beer. The tartness is lemonlike and I'd suggest a higher ibu than they typical 10-15 to balance the tartness.

thanks for the response; I will probably just use White Labs instead; I am looking for less bananna-clove, more Pacific NW for my loving and forgiving wife. Thanks again, and please post how it turned out.

bad. bad, bad, bad. stay away. I used it once on a dunkelweizen, and it just did not taste like any of the awesome DW's I've made with liquid strains.

Pitched some of this today. I saw activity just under 1 hour after pitching.
2 hours and the yeast was in full swing.

After my last disappointments with dry yeast, this is a good sign.
The proof will be the taste. I have read that it can be tart... so I played with the hops to try to balance that out.
I have always used Wyeast products for my Dunkelweizens, and this is an experiment for me.

I'll update with results.

I'm also currently using it in a brew. So far the samples I helped myself to from taking gravity readings show a pretty decent green beer. Still sweet for now with a hint of banana and a ton of malt since I under hopped. I don't think it will turn out bad at all.

bad. bad, bad, bad. stay away. I used it once on a dunkelweizen, and it just did not taste like any of the awesome DW's I've made with liquid strains.

It is AWEFUL in a Dunkelweizen, too tart for that style.
Try it in a Hefe :mug:

I really like it in my Hefeweizen

I needs to be fermented at 63-65 degrees and I like the results.
Tried it at 60 it was .........MEH

I don't think it's anything that brutal. I actually really enjoy the hefe I made. I used 30IBUs to balance what I thought would be tart. This tartness went away about a month in the bottle. That said, it will have a green-or tart in this case- taste far longer than your typical german hefe. It will not produce a paulaner but it does have a fair amount of banana and clove. If you wait it out, it produces a nice hefe. I could see this not being great for a dunkel though. Mine finished too dry and clove dominant for that.

UPDATE:

Wow. The clove really dominates in this brew.
This is not a bad thing however. Paired with the right food, this should shine.
I'm thinking a Smithfield Ham for Easter. :rockin:

Three ( 3 ) gallon mini keg is in the Kegerator next to SWMBO's Porter.
It is different than any other Dunkel I have ever made. It reminds me of Trader Joe's 2008 Vintage Ale. Maybe I have stumbled upon a secret weapon for Unibroue cloning :)

But my lesson is learned as far as Yeasties go. Going to stick with the Wyeast I think. There needs to be some banana in there to make it a proper Dunkelweizen. :ban:

Just used this for the first time in a hefe i started Friday after my WLP300 starter didn't start :(

My efficiency went from really crap (60ish) to pretty good (82-83) so it ended up being a 1.064 starting gravity. I'll report back here on how the wb-06 handles a slightly heavy hefe.

Take this for what it's worth as I'm not a very big hefe drinker. My experience with this yeast left much to be desired. I recall splitting a 10 gallon batch where 5 gallons was basically a starter beer for a weizenbock using a liquid strain and the other 5 was an experiment with this strain.

The liquid strain produced a typical german style hefe beer, probably weighted toward the banana/bubblegum side of the spectrum and made a reasonable candidate for a side by side. The WB06 beer came out with heavy phenols even for a Hefe strain. It flocculated prematurely (HA!) and the head was not as fluffy as its sister beer. It also had a borderline sour character that was not pronounced but unpleasant none the less.

Ironically what struck me most about this yeast was the lack of character. If I had tasted this blind, I doubt that I would have suspected it of being a wheat beer strain. I've had great results with the S04 and S05, and also the Safale alt/kolsch strain produces some delightful pear flavors when fermented at the higher end of its temp range. I would not however use the WB06 again.

Back