Bayou Classic SP-10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejaz

Reaction score
Anybody have this burner for a keggle, it's the one with the round cooking surface. Looking to modify it for use with keggle. Keggle too unstable on cooking surface. Was thinking of bolting L-brackets to sides, any suggestions. Bayou has a square one but that comes witha 10psi this is a 20psi burner.

KAB5

http://homebrewheaven.com/

banjo.jpg

As you say, it'll have to be modified to accommodate a keggle. I used the same one with a charcaol grill grate on top of it for a while. It worked OK--heated well, but was very loud and used a lot of gas.

I switched to the square one with the 10psi regulator, and couldn't be happier. Seems to heat just as well, but it's much more stable, quiet, and easy on propane. Got it for $50 at Lowes.

Well you can put the 20PSI regulator onto a different burner, as long as the actual burner element can handle the higher pressure - the SP-10 seems to have the standard cone-shaped burner element in it that the majority of other burners use, so it shouldn't be a problem to find a compatible one.

With that said, I sure do enjoy the heat output of my KAB5, and it holds a keggle just fine :D
FYI, the burner Mustangj included a picture of above is a KAB4, not a KAB5, and the KAB4 supposedly does not hold a keggle very well. The KAB5 has sturdier/bigger legs.

Here's how I modified mine. :D

See it fits a keg just fine now. ;)

But seriously, I agree that those stands aren't good for a keggle. I have seen some people who have laid a larger grill grate over the top and then set the keggle on top of that. That seems like a cheap workable solution.

Funkenjaeger said:
Well you can put the 20PSI regulator onto a different burner, as long as the actual burner element can handle the higher pressure - the SP-10 seems to have the standard cone-shaped burner element in it that the majority of other burners use, so it shouldn't be a problem to find a compatible one.

With that said, I sure do enjoy the heat output of my KAB5, and it holds a keggle just fine :D
FYI, the burner Mustangj included a picture of above is a KAB4, not a KAB5, and the KAB4 supposedly does not hold a keggle very well. The KAB5 has sturdier/bigger legs.

I used the wrong pic.

41vJ5%2BbTDZL._AA280_.jpg

Spoke to Bayou Classic, says the sp 10 is better suited for brewing then the
sq 14 with the square frame. Problem is stabiliy of keg on it. Found a 22 in round grill at Lowes for $12.49 which seems to have remedied the problem. Can bolt it to burner frame or just rest it on top, seems very stable

joejaz said:
Spoke to Bayou Classic, says the sp 10 is better suited for brewing then the
sq 14 with the square frame. Problem is stabiliy of keg on it. Found a 22 in round grill at Lowes for $12.49 which seems to have remedied the problem. Can bolt it to burner frame or just rest it on top, seems very stable

Not quite sure I understand that.....the SP-10 is 14" in diameter, while a keg is 15". The square one is 16"X16"....how could the one that is too small be more stable? I've used them both, and the square one is way more stable.

No matter, sounds like you are using yours just like I used mine--with a grill grate on it. It gets the job done!

SwAMi75 said:
Not quite sure I understand that.....the SP-10 is 14" in diameter, while a keg is 15". The square one is 16"X16"....how could the one that is too small be more stable? I've used them both, and the square one is way more stable.

No matter, sounds like you are using yours just like I used mine--with a grill grate on it. It gets the job done!

Maybe I didn't say it right. Now that I put the grate on it , it is more stable than before. I would have liked to have the bigger square frame but it comes with a smaller burner ( 10 PSI) and the square frame doesn't have the wind protector arround it. How is the smaller burner compared to the SP 10? And does the SP 10 make a lot of noise, I didn't use it yet.

joejaz said:
Maybe I didn't say it right. Now that I put the grate on it , it is more stable than before. I would have liked to have the bigger square frame but it comes with a smaller burner ( 10 PSI) and the square frame doesn't have the wind protector arround it. How is the smaller burner compared to the SP 10? And does the SP 10 make a lot of noise, I didn't use it yet.

The SP-10 is really loud--at least mine was. The square one is much quieter, uses less propane, and seemed to heat just as well to me. The lack of a wind guard is the biggest drawback, but I don't recall it ever causing me any problems.

Has anyone found any other remedies to modify the sp10 for keggle use? my sp10 arrives today, looking forward to using it. But I will be using it with a keggle which is too big for the round cooking surface.

Any other remedies are much appreciated. I was thinking of using a couple of cinder blocks to hold the weight of the keggle but would rather find a better solution. The bbq grate is not bad, it just seems a little flimsy and would hate to have this fall over during a boil.

I have the SQ14 and love it. An easy wind fix is check home depot or lowes for a 5"-6" thimble collar in the heating duct area. It looks kind of like an open top-top hat. I just cut a "u" shaped hole on the side, unscrewed the burner, put the collar around it and remounted the burner, works like a champ. I'll take a picture when I get home from work.

Without modifications the best burner for brewing with keggles is the Bayou Classic KAB6. It is basically a KAB4 pictured earlier in the thread but is more sturdy and wider base to fit larger pots such as a keggle. You will have about 2 inchs of space on all four posts with the keggle centered. The burner is awesome, though the pot sits up high it heats up very quickly. It does go through propane faster than smaller burners.

I use one and it works great. I do keep a tub of water handy as the propane tank will start to freeze up after a while, which really hurts the BTU output.

Ed

Without modifications the best burner for brewing with keggles is the Bayou Classic KAB6. It is basically a KAB4 pictured earlier in the thread but is more sturdy and wider base to fit larger pots such as a keggle. You will have about 2 inchs of space on all four posts with the keggle centered. The burner is awesome, though the pot sits up high it heats up very quickly. It does go through propane faster than smaller burners.

I use one and it works great. I do keep a tub of water handy as the propane tank will start to freeze up after a while, which really hurts the BTU output.

Ed

I use the SQ-14 and have two of them mounted in one stand. With this I do 50 gallon boils. Once it starts to boil I drop down to either one burner or both just turned WAY DOWN.

For the money, easy on LP and the base the SQ-14 just can't be beat.

I use the SQ-14 and have two of them mounted in one stand. With this I do 50 gallon boils. Once it starts to boil I drop down to either one burner or both just turned WAY DOWN.

For the money, easy on LP and the base the SQ-14 just can't be beat.

+1 The SQ-14 is an excellent burner and the stand is large and very stable. IMO, it's one of the best choices for home brewing. I like that the flame level is very controllable from full blast to very low. Good choice for a direct fired mash tun. Most any burner will work for a HLT or BK, but flame control is very important for a MT if heating directly. It's also inexpensive at about $50.

Ah! I had lost this thread. I was looking for the name (and picture) of the doodad to use as a flame shield for the SQ14. Woohoo!

P.S.- love my SQ14. It is great even without the shield.

I modified mine using bedframe angle (free).

4 pieces cut 16 in. long at a 45 degree angle

if you have a welder it was really easy

100_1390.JPG

100_1391.JPG

100_1392.JPG

it works quite well , i had to do it,i got it for $10 at a garage sale.

Back