Transferring Carbed Beer from keg to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
Okay so I have a bit of a problem. I need to get my Oktoberfest in a keg, under pressure, this weekend but the only keg I have free is one with a messed up beer side poppet that pours very slowly. If I rack it to that keg I'll need to xfer it in a few months to a working keg.

From the reading I've done I can transfer from one keg to another via a jumper right? I just need to do the xfer at a low pressure and keep bleeding the CO2 from the receiving keg?

You can trsf. But why not just change the poppet when you get a chance and save the effort of trsf?

I've transferred a carbed beer using the same method, and it worked fine.

You could also do it with the lid off the receiving keg so you don't have to keep bleeding the pressure. I did a transfer that way and it also worked fine.

I have a little cap that holds the gas poppet openand slides onot the pin lock.

Foamong is what you want to avoid, so go into the beer out side.

I read this on here and if I ever have to transfer this is what I plan to do. Never done it yet though.

First purge and bleed the receiving keg. Then pressurize the sending keg and elevate it. Then hook up the outputs of the kegs together. Beer will start to transfer until the pressure equalizes between the kegs. Then hook up the gas in lines together. This will then allow the sending keg to siphon by gravity into the receiving keg.

This way it is a totally closed system and you don't waste a lot of co2 pushing beer.

You want to set your pressure to the same as what you used to carb the beer. Any lowered pressures will encourage foaming and carb loss. The source and destination kegs should have the same pressure, then you hook up the gas to just the source keg and vent the receiving keg a split second to get the flow started. Then as xoltri suggested, you can then jump gas to gas and lift the source keg up higher. Gravity should take over from there while both kegs maintain that 12psi or whatever it is.

I've tried pulling the beer out nozzle out, disassembling it, cleaning it, pretty much everything I can think of, still pours slow. My other kegs are fine. Figured I'll just keep this keg around as a keg to age/condition in since it fine for that.

I could remove the grommet from the beer out line and just use the tap.. but that sounds dangerous.

Back