My Schmidling MaltMill has arrived!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schneemann

Reaction score
SWMBO bought me a new Schmidling MaltMill for Valentine's day and I finally got a chance to use it!

I have great fondness for my UPS man, because whenever his truck arrives he's either carrying car parts or brewing stuff

IMG_02561.jpg

I can't tell what this is just based on the box, so as always I just dive right in. Let's see what's inside!

IMG_0258.jpg

WooHoo! My mill!

IMG_0259.jpg

Schmidling says they assemble all mills prior to shipping. Nevertheless, there is some minor assembly required, but everything you need (other than the tools, of course) is included as well as instructions, but who needs those?

IMG_0260.jpg

Finally, here it is in use:
IMG_02932.jpg

You'll notice that in the first few "assembled" pics above, that the hand crank is attached. After the first pound or so of grain, I decided that only really stupid people or those with very strong arms and lots of time on their hands actually crush their grain using the hand crank. There was no way in hell I was about to crush 19 lbs of grain using that hand crank.

Also, not shown in pictures is the fact that I actually switched to my corded 1/2 inch drill after about 12lbs of grain. That's because by that time I had totally drained two batteries for my cordless drill. From this point forward I will be using my half inch corded drill to crank this thing.

I am extremely happy with this mill and can't even begin to say how glad I am to have it. IMO, anyone intending to do frequent brewing of large batches (10gal.+) should have one, primarily because of the potential cost savings of buying grain in bulk. Provided you're at a point where you can identify the grains you'll be using most, you can buy those grains in bulk and save a fair amount of money.

This product has great workmanship and does exactly what I need it to do. Kudos to schmidling!

That is a nice mill, my budddy at our local microbrewery has one that i borrow all the time. It is about time that i get one for myself! Where did your wife get it?

Is it the non adjustable, one side adjustable, or both side adjustable?

I received a used maltmill today and was wondering about those rubber o rings that are on the rollers and are they supposed to go in a certain place or just anywhere on the rollers? How do I go about getting replacement o ring as well.

I received a used maltmill today and was wondering about those rubber o rings that are on the rollers and are they supposed to go in a certain place or just anywhere on the rollers? How do I go about getting replacement o ring as well.

You don't need them. The second roller will turn by friction when grain is being ground.

Nice setup

I just got the "bare bones one - big mistake... I now need to get hopper and mill base...

Did you make any changes to the shaft to get the drill to fit ? I see in the instructions they say the add another 2 flats to improve the grip.

I like the large hopper you fashioned..

Took less than 2 weeks to come via UPS. Got the gear driven adjustable one. Great mill! Improved my efficiency about 10% from another LHBS. The better LHBS uses this exact same model. I over paid on paypal when my SWMBO ordered and there was a refund check in the box with the mill. Yes, the standerd hopper is small but suck it up if that is what you ordered or go McGiver and improvise. It is no big deal to reload the hopper or have a helper keep the hopper filled (you do have friends to help you brew, right...).

Has anyone had success with a large hopper and 2% water addition for malt conditioning? I like my mill but anything over 1% water addition seems to clog the basic setup. It seems to be the finger guard causing problems but I don't want to pull that off without some alternative ... like a large hopper.

Back