Hucklebery Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not used this type of honey. I have to admit that it seems difficult to imagine how the beekeeper could have utilized a sparsely growing, wild shrub exclusively for the honey. I would be interested in knowing more about the process of making it.

I have also, really, really, missed huckleberries since I moved to the midwest. I am planning a huckleberry melomel post-haste.

We have feilds of huckleberries out here and this place had hives places in the middle of these feilds

I use it for tea it is great stuff I am wondering if it has a use in mead.

-Jason

If it is honey, it has a use in mead.
A nice thought, but not always practical. Unfortunately, there are a few honeys that produce a disgusting (use the adjective of your choice) mead - I believe eucalyptus is one of them.

I'm not saying huckleberry is a bad choice, but it's helpful to understand that there are limits to the notion that "all honey makes a good mead".

We have feilds of huckleberries out here and this place had hives places in the middle of these feilds

I use it for tea it is great stuff I am wondering if it has a use in mead.

-Jason

They have domesticated the huckleberry?

Do you have the name of the apiary? I'd love to have my folks pick some up.

I emailed the apiary. They do not use huckleberry flowers for the source of the honey. They add pureed huckleberries to it. I think you might be safer to use a light honey and then add the huckleberries for a melomel. This would reduce the chances of contamination from the fruit.

Back