Favorite Base-Malt/Brewers'-Malt Mixes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chesterbelloc

Reaction score
With the price of grain so high I am looking to see if any of y'all have any old standbys that you use to cut your grain without affecting too-too much the character of more expensive grains.

...Since I am in Northern Utah, a stone's throw from their facility, I have been ogling Great Western's products, particularly throwing together a mix of their pale-ale and vienna malts to cut my British and Scottish malts with.

totally depends on the recipe as to what grains can be substituted, added, changed, etc. what are you trying to make?

totally depends on the recipe as to what grains can be substituted, added, changed, etc. what are you trying to make?

I am a British ale brewer... I sometimes do simple Belgians.

I can't but help but think that at about $30 per 50lbs cutting a sack of M.O. or G.P. would drop my costs a little closer to the 1990's levels I remember... Honestly, the last domestic ingredient I used was the Ashburne Mild, for a smash, when it first came to my attention 3 or 4 years ago. IMO, a good malt with great colour.

Great Western Pale
2.6-3.0°L - A slightly darker base malt than our Premium 2-row malt due to longer British Pale Ale-style kilning. Contributes a malty complexity to beer flavor and aroma.

I am also seriously intrigued by their crystal malts.... sorta' makes me feel like a low-life crack dealer cutting his product.

Latest posts

Back