Trying to make a mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
Im just having so much trouble trying to make myself a mash tun. I picked up a kettle ball valve and a screen that fits that from my LHBS. The guy there told me it would work but it doesnt seem to be fitting at all. Just frustrating and I want to get some brewing done tomorrow. I got a bunch of grain already milled and ready to go. :mad:

Yeah we need more details to help you out. Sounds like you are trying to mash in a pot? Let us know some more specifics.... maybe even post some pics so we can get an idea of where you're going with the project and what part you are stuck on.

Yeah sorry I was in a rush when I. Posted lol. Bad day too had some byo magazines get ruined from a spilled pepsi and my brewing up a business book. So I have a recgtangle rubbermade cooler that I just ripped the spigot out of. I purchased a kettle screen and kettle valve (that's what the package says) for it and I think he said those will work. Bt the end that would go into the cooler is a male connector and doesn't go all the way to the inside of the cooler. Plus the screen part is also a male connector. My wife was even helping me haha and she's really not too thrilled with my hobby. She told me to just return the items and buy the other parts that I see people using from home depot. I hope this makes some sense

I found that the threaded fitting sold with the kettle ball valve setups is too short. You need at least 1-1/2" to get through the cooler wall and into both the valve and bulkhead on the other side. You'll also want a bulkhead fitting to mate the screen to the threaded part coming through the cooler wall. You'll also want to re-use the washer that was inside the cooler over the threaded item that went through the wall. That will help you to get a better seal inside.

Here's some pic's of how I put my cooler mash tun together..

2708-mlt-ball-valve-inside-closeup.jpg

Mating the nipple on the inside (connected to the bulkhead) to the bazooka screen.
3069-mash-tun-inside-final-configuration.jpg

What the valve looks like outside, at least initially...
2709-mlt-ball-valve-outside.jpg

Once I got the right length fitting to mate the valve (outside the cooler) to the bulkhead inside the cooler, it was pretty easy to get it all together. I did end up using the thicker o-rings in the setup though, since I found the ones that came with the kit too thin. I've actually built a second mash tun cooler since my original, so that I can more easily mash different amounts of grain. In my 10 gallon round cooler, I can mash ~24# of grain, In the 70qt, I can mash ~44#... Means I can make a big barley wine in either a 5 or 10 gallon batch size without issue.

I'm busy in the morning with vehicle maintenance. Otherwise I'd volunteer to hook up with you then to get things figured out. I have some spare bulkheads that you could have one of. If you're up for it, head down to Strange Brew in Marlboro, MA and have Josh (he's one of the good people there) help you out. You'll probably need to get a couple of fittings, but it will be better/easier than trying to get everything all over again.

BTW, I did try to just get a longer threaded fitting from a plumbing supplier as well as Lowe's/HD and neither really worked. Better to get the fitting that is designed to work with the ball valve from the start. I'd also keep the valve made for the kettle conversion.

Thanks golddiggie I am gonna try to figure something out today. Good to know there are other helpful homebrewers localy

Which HBS is your local? You could just take the cooler and assembly there and have them help too. Hopefully they have the hardware to make it work out right too. If not, just drive down to RT. 20 in Marlboro. Strange Brew is on the south side of the street, just before FireFly's if you're driving west. Address is 41 Boston Post Rd. E. (Route 20) Marlboro, MA 01752... Call ahead if you want to make sure someone will be there to help out, and/or make sure they have the hardware you'll need (1-(888) 273-9464 Local 508-460-5050)...

I've had pretty good results shopping there. Some of the stuff is more than what I can get online, but there's something to be said for being able to just go to a store and get an item that day. I buy my [liquid] yeast there since I usually don't want to worry about anything going wrong in shipping. Basically, I look to see how much it would be to get an item the next day via online vendor, then see how much to get it from them. If we're within a small amount (a few dollars/percent) then I go local. If there's a large difference, or I know they won't have something, then I get it online.

Nice. I actually went out and bought a diff cooler picked up a 5gallon rubbermaid from HD. The kettle valve and screen fit perfect pretty much. I had to play with it to stop it from leaking which was a pain though.

Back