Fruit Beer Blueberry Wheat Ale (blue Wench)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boydak

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Dry Muntons
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Tasting Notes
Super good Blueberry Wheat Beer
6 lbs DME Wheat
1 oz Tettnager (bitter)
1 gallon blueberry juice

We juiced a whole flat of fresh blueberries for this. Boiled 1.5 gallons of water with malt and hops. Added juice add flame out. cooled to 100 degrees and added to 3 gallons of water.

2 weeks in primary and 2-3 weeks in bottles.

Tasted better than Sea Dog Blue Paw!!!

(consider uping bittering hops a bit)

How did it turns out? I'm thinking of trying this next. I tried out a strawberry blonde extract recipe that ended up being quite dry

It came out OK but if I do this again I am going to use a bit more hops. I did a strawberry blonde that I like better.

How much yeast did you add? 2 packets?
by bittering with hops, do you mean add more than 1 oz tettnags or add 1 oz?
Did you get your gallon of blueberry juice by juicing or did you add the juice to the juice from pressing the flat? Haha, sorry if that is confusing.

This will probably be my first brew after a Mr Beer kit. I'm excited!

1 packet of dried yeast.

Maybe 2 oz total tettnags for 60 mins

We juiced a whole flat of fresh berries and got a gallon of juice.

Hope this helps, let me know how it comes out.

It would still be a good beer but not the SAME beer. The 1 gallon of freshly juiced blueberries added a unique character to the beer the flaovoring will not.

But like I said, it will still be good beer!!!

Enjoy and let me know how it comes out.

I brewed this in 01 and for some reason did not write that down in my log.

Sorry

There's no way for us to access your recipe, but a gallon will have about 12 oz of sugar in it.

I just opened and tried a Sea Dog Blue Paw wheat ale....and it is excellent....and I came on here to look for a recipe that is similar (or better)...looks like I found it!

How blue is the beer? Is it straight out smurf beer?

I want to make a beer very similar but I just want a SLIGHT hint of blueberry. How strong is the flavor?

I wouldn't call it blue. Looks like a wheat beer. I'll take a picture and comment in a few weeks once its done.

I will be looking forward to your comments.

I am looking for a really subtle blueberry taste - like you will miss it if you drink it too fast. I know that blueberries have a purple color that stains easily so I want to minimize that as well. I however do NOT want to use an extract.

How many berries (in lbs) did it take to make 1 gallon?

Also, it would be nice to see how purple this beer was with 1 gallon of fruit. I plan on making an AG version of this based on a Hefe recipe I already make. I will simply tone down the wheat recipe to compensate for the sugar I think.

I'm looking for an AG Blueberry Wheat recipe to brew for my wife (I like it too). I've considered just brewing a wheat and adding the blueberry extract, but she really wants some purple color to the beer.

Any suggestions? Just add a couple of bags of crushed blueberries at secondary?

I am planing on using this my first home brew but I am going to substitute huckleberry for the blueberry. I will let you know how it turns out.

I'm looking for an AG Blueberry Wheat recipe to brew for my wife (I like it too). I've considered just brewing a wheat and adding the blueberry extract, but she really wants some purple color to the beer.

Any suggestions? Just add a couple of bags of crushed blueberries at secondary?

I made an extract blueberry wheat recently that turned out pretty good. The color is extremely purple though. I put 5 lbs. of slightly crushed frozen blueberries in the secondary for about a week.

Initially I felt like it was a little tart, but it's grown on me as it's aged some. I think if I do it again though, I might cut back to 3 lbs.

I'm going to try brewing this recipe soon...sounds delicious!

I'm wondering if I need to do anything special to sanitize the blueberries while juicing them, or is adding the juice at flame out enough to sanitize it? If i do add the juice at flame-out, should I wait a while before chilling the wort to help sanitize?

Also, since the blueberry juice is added into the wort, won't most of the sugars be fermented? I'm just wondering if I will be able to taste the blueberry flavor in the final product if the juice is added in the wort as opposed to adding it after some or all fermentation is complete.

Thanks for any help! :mug:

I was thinking of doing a blueberry wheat beer, but I was gonna do it similar to a blue berry wine. Crush the berries and add them in a nylon bag, add a small amount of water and sugar (to match the worts og) and a campden tablet and let it sit for 24 hours and add it into the wort on secondary, and let it ferment out in secondary. If you add blue berries in the primary you will get a fermented fruit flavor which is a reason to add it to secondary, you will get more of a berry flavor...

Back