ginger ale help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob111

Reaction score
I have tried making g/a by grating ginger and by boiling both were good
the problem I had with grated ginger was the ginger floating around so I tried boiling method worked great
I use yeast to carb after a couple of days at room temp I put pop in fridge for 2 weeks lots of bubbles but the yeast starts floating around because of the bubbles
I have been pouring through a coffee filter into a glass to drink is there a better way to filter (especially grated ginger recipe)

is there any harm drinking the yeast I heard it's not good for you
thanks

yeast is not bad for you at all. Its actually good for you. i mean you dont want to just go eat spoonfuls or anything. you might try adding less yeast? if you are just using it to carb up your ginger ale. then very little is needed. but it may take longer then usual to carb up. as for the bottles you got already. id just drink the yeast. but thats me. you could also invest in a keg and co2 tank and force carbonate your ginger ale.. no yeast would be needed then.

If you are making it often, then it may be worthwhile to invest in a CO2 tank and a carbonator cap.

I don't carbonate mine with yeast, but I get a lot of settling on the bottom too. I think it is mostly ginger because when I mix it up and then pour it is a bit spicier. So, what you are seeing on the bottom may not be all yeast (?).

You can also pulp your ginger in a food processor or blender, and separate it with cheese cloth or something. This is something I do in cooking sometimes, or when making ginger juices/lemonades etc.

I have had the same issues you are talking about. I just accepted it.

You could try a highly flocculant strain of beer yeast and chill for a week or so, but I bet the degassing will cause it to float the yeast.

What I like to do is mix up the ginger ale in a pitcher, and let it sit so that it gets all of the ginger flavor that it's going to. Then, I strain it into a new sanitized pitcher, add the yeast and bottle it. That takes out most of the floaties.

is there any harm drinking the yeast I heard it's not good for you
thanks

Yeast has lots and lots of good vitamins. There's no problem with eating a lot of yeast, other than if you eat more than your system can handle, you'll have some gas.

Just curious, what recipe are you using? How much ginger? Do you use lemon? How much sugar if you force carb?

I made some up this weekend, just winged the recipe. Came out ok, but wanted to know what others are doing.

You can also pulp your ginger in a food processor or blender, and separate it with cheese cloth or something. This is something I do in cooking sometimes, or when making ginger juices/lemonades etc.

+1 this is what I do. I make a bag out of cheese cloth and put the pulped ginger in that bag in the water. Works great and no floaties.

What I like to do is mix up the ginger ale in a pitcher, and let it sit so that it gets all of the ginger flavor that it's going to. Then, I strain it into a new sanitized pitcher, add the yeast and bottle it. That takes out most of the floaties.

I thought you used a carbonation cap? you still use yeast? curious why?

Just curious, what recipe are you using? How much ginger? Do you use lemon? How much sugar if you force carb?

I made some up this weekend, just winged the recipe. Came out ok, but wanted to know what others are doing.

My recipe is here.

It turned out great as a carbed drink. I've made it many times in the past as warm ginger cider, but carbed and cold it is great.

Latest posts

Back