Remove interior rust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfenton78

Reaction score
I have a 3 gal corny keg that has developed some interior rust. Specifically its a thin elliptical shape with a bubble of rust. What's the best way to remove the rust and prevent future rusting? I've read recommendations to use Bar Keepers Friend and a green scrubbie. The other I've read is a very fine grit wet sandpaper. Whats your recommendations?

jeff

OP,

Do you have access to your local water report?

If so what is the Iron content of your water? Do you get rust stains at you faucets ?

I do have a local water report and I do have some rust stained faucets (bath tub only). But I don't believe this to be the cause as the keg is a 3 gallon corny which I've used only a few times. I did have some oxyclean solutions sitting in it for a while; time not know. So that could have been the cause.

Thanks for the link Mista. I forgot about consulting the Brewing Bible. ;).

Looks like I'll be hitting up the local big box store for some BKF on Christmas Eve. That should be lots of fun.

I actually just bought some CLR yesterday. I'd rather use BKF, but if I cant find it today, I'll use CLR.

Back