Rusty Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildmanrob

Reaction score
I am getting back into homebrewing, after a long hiatus, and am ready for my second batch. I used a smaller enamel coated 14-qt pot last batch but would like to use my 18-qt tefllon coated steel pot that I originally used for home brewing back in the day. Unfortunately, through years of non-homebrew use, the teflon has worn through and the pot rusted on the inside bottom. I scrubbed all the excess rust off, all the way to bare steel in some places. The questin is, is can I use this pot or will the remaining rust and or oxidation of the bare steel during the boil cause ill-effects to my beer? (And yes, BTW, I will be ordering a 20qt (+) SS pot in the near future.)

I would be more concerned with the teflon than the rust. I would not want to ferment with teflon. If you have scrubbed all the lose bits off I would also use it. Based on no scientific BS at all.

It is made for food, so I think you should be OK. Luck

You'll continue to have rust problems, wort is acidic and will dissolve rust and it takes very little iron to mess up beer. If you can remove all of the visible rust, all the flakes and all the rust under the flakes; then treat it with a rust converter, you might be okay.

The difference between 14 and 18 quarts is so minor, I wouldn't take the risk.

Note: Teflon is totally non-digestible, but the flakes are crunchy.

You'll continue to have rust problems, wort is acidic and will dissolve rust and it takes very little iron to mess up beer. If you can remove all of the visible rust, all the flakes and all the rust under the flakes; then treat it with a rust converter, you might be okay.

The difference between 14 and 18 quarts is so minor, I wouldn't take the risk.

Note: Teflon is totally non-digestible, but the flakes are crunchy.

Doesn't seem worth it, especially with 32qt aluminum pots available at walmart for $23.

I've made spaghetti with a pot with the teflon worn away on the bottom and scrubbing the flakes away. Notice, I didn't say I ATE it. The pot was rusty after one use and the spaghetti tasted like Rust-o-Ravioli.

I'd toss it and buy another.

Back