Fruit Beer Succulent Strawberry Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it'll clear up. The berries do seem to add a little haze. You might try gelatin, I've just recently started using it and I've seen awesome results. Matter of fact, I added gelatin to my all-grain batch of strawberry blonde today!

If you want to add more berries, i cant see what it would hurt. Just treat your terrtiary as your secondary and start over. The beer is finished. At this point all you are trying to do is add strawberry flavor. Make sure everything is sanitized and be very carefule not oxygenate the beer with the additional transfers.

Sound advice! I don't see how it could hurt anything.

If you want to add more berries, i cant see what it would hurt. Just treat your terrtiary as your secondary and start over. The beer is finished. At this point all you are trying to do is add strawberry flavor. Make sure everything is sanitized and be very carefule not oxygenate the beer with the additional transfers.

Good, that's pretty much what I figured, just wanted to confirm. Gracias!

Need some opinions. Ok, bad planning. SWMBO was out of cider and I started a batch. It's still rocking along. My strawberry blonde has been on the berries for 1.5 weeks. And is showing no activity. Should I go ahead and bottle and condition there??? If so, should I cold crash it?

I think the cider has at least a week left on it. I don't have any other vessels to rack into other than my bottling bucket.

Thanks!

Need some opinions. Ok, bad planning. SWMBO was out of cider and I started a batch. It's still rocking along. My strawberry blonde has been on the berries for 1.5 weeks. And is showing no activity. Should I go ahead and bottle and condition there??? If so, should I cold crash it?

I think the cider has at least a week left on it. I don't have any other vessels to rack into other than my bottling bucket.

Thanks!

Quite the predicament!! I don't think I'd bottle just yet. I think you've got a couple of options..

1. Sanitize a strainer and get alltge strawberries out, then let it set for at least a week... Or

2. Rack off the strawberries, into your bottling bucket, clean and sanitize your strawberry bucket, and rack back into it. Then let set for a week, cold crash, bottle.

Just my thoughts!

I agree with Blue. The only concern with moving twice is the chance of oxygenating the beer during a double rack. So my suggestion is, unless you need it, and assuming your bottling bucket is plain old "ale pail" type bucket, sanitize it, rack into it and cold crash for a week or two. Then bottle it.

I agree with Blue. The only concern with moving twice is the chance of oxygenating the beer during a double rack. So my suggestion is, unless you need it, and assuming your bottling bucket is plain old "ale pail" type bucket, sanitize it, rack into it and cold crash for a week or two. Then bottle it.

Agreed, regarding the oxygenation... I was assuming you were going to need your bottling bucket for your cider in a week. Besides, once SWMBO gets a taste of the Strawberry Blonde, she won't ever want cider again!! :D

Slightly OT, but not so much.. regarding the issues with haze in this beer, here's the results of gelatin...

ForumRunner_20130430_194636.png
Before cold crashing/gelatin...

ForumRunner_20130430_194648.png
Less than 36 hours after adding gelatin..

IT WORKS MIRACLES!! :D

Edit: this is actually in WildGingers all grain version... But it still applies! Lol

Finally got mine in the bottles tonight. Got busy and it spent 2 weeks in the fridge. Ended up with 52 bottles. Taster had a strong strawberry tartness to it. SWMBO said that it didn't even taste like beer. Pic has some condensation in it.

image-2359161292.jpg

Finally got mine in the bottles tonight. Got busy and it spent 2 weeks in the fridge. Ended up with 52 bottles. Taster had a strong strawberry tartness to it. SWMBO said that it didn't even taste like beer. Pic has some condensation in it.

Looks good!! Yeah, I noticed my last batch had a pretty good tartness to it. Its 2 weeks in the bottle today! I figure in another week it'll mellow out nicely!

Just checked on my second batch of my variation of this. 2 weeks in it's at 7.1%, so I'll add the strawberries and sweetener tomorrow ...

Bluelinebrewer said:
Nope, always in the secondary. I seem to recall reading somewhere that adding to the boil isn't such a great idea.. I'll see if I can find that discussion.

EDIT: Seems to be the topic of discussion, and as with anything in homebrewing, has plenty of varying opinions! :)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/where-put-real-fruit-not-extract-108607/

I ended up just adding it at burnout and then cooling it. From what I read at 200+ degrees everything dies pretty quickly. Also I'm hoping that because I cooled it right away, there won't be too many pectins.

Just brewed this! The 4 gallons definitely showed me that I needed a wort chiller and a outdoor burner. Took forever to boil and cool down. The fermenter is looking real chunky. Is this because it took so long to cool down?

Just brewed this! The 4 gallons definitely showed me that I needed a wort chiller and a outdoor burner. Took forever to boil and cool down. The fermenter is looking real chunky. Is this because it took so long to cool down?

Chunky? Hmmmm... Did you use Irish moss or whirlfloc?

Bluelinebrewer said:
Chunky? Hmmmm... Did you use Irish moss or whirlfloc?

Ya I used the whirlfloc. I attatched a picture of it. It's fine. It all settled, but my strainer didn't get a lot of the sediment. I wonder if its from not cooling It down as fast.

image-931137690.jpg

Oh yeah, it'll be fine! Yeah, you might lose some, but, just gives you an excuse to brew some more!! Lol

Excellent! Thanks! Ya I will definitely have to do it again. I hope it doesn't turn out too cloudy.

You'll be fine even if some of that break material makes it into the secondary. It will compact down over the next 2 weeks before then.

One other question. I'm planning on making a two gallon batch of this over the weekend. What would you suggest for my starter (how much water + DME and how much of WLP001 should I use)? Thanks

One other question. I'm planning on making a two gallon batch of this over the weekend. What would you suggest for my starter (how much water + DME and how much of WLP001 should I use)? Thanks

Not sure. I've never used a starter on this beer, or any other for that matter, and its always turned out fine. I'm sure some others will chime in!

Not sure. I've never used a starter on this beer, or any other for that matter, and its always turned out fine. I'm sure some others will chime in!

Actually, I've never used one either (beer or wine) and have never had a problem. Normally I just drop the yeast (dry or active) into a 1/2 cup of warm water 30 mins before pitching. But this is the first time I'm using WLP001 and most recipes that use it seem to use a starter. Plus White Labs website recommends it. But I would just as well pitch it my normal way so as to save a step.

FWIW, I always make a starter, for every beer. Even when I am using S-05. Mostly, because I can. It will help the yeast start quicker with the less strain, but I have made this beer many times by just dumping a packet of non-rehydrated S-05 into it, or just smacking a pack of 1056, with great results. I enjoy making starters, so I do, but it is not required to make a good beer.

I made this for the 3rd time today, but realized I completely forgot to buy Saaz. Did 1oz cascade @60 and 1/2 oz citra at 10. Bavarian wheat dme 2lbs at start of boil and 1lb @20mins. Also added 1/2 tsp yeast starter. A citrusy strawberry blonde it is! OG was 1.07.
Bottled batch #2 of this on friday, and bottling Apfelwein tonight!... a busy beer weekend

SupervisingChildren said:
I made this for the 3rd time today, but realized I completely forgot to buy Saaz. Did 1oz cascade @60 and 1/2 oz citra at 10. Bavarian wheat dme 2lbs at start of boil and 1lb @20mins. Also added 1/2 tsp yeast starter. A citrusy strawberry blonde it is! OG was 1.07.
Bottled batch #2 of this on friday, and bottling Apfelwein tonight!... a busy beer weekend

Im interested in knowing hiw it turns out with citra. I have thought about changing up the hops but never do. I think citra would be a fine addition!

Didn't read the entire thread..

I'm making a strawberry wheat and have 5 lbs of frozen strawberries to add. Has anyone cold crashed their beer, added the strawberries, and kept it at about 40-42F to prevent the yeast from fermenting the fruit's sugars?

Didn't read the entire thread..

I'm making a strawberry wheat and have 5 lbs of frozen strawberries to add. Has anyone cold crashed their beer, added the strawberries, and kept it at about 40-42F to prevent the yeast from fermenting the fruit's sugars?

I've never tried that. I've always been skeered of bottle bombs. But, if you're kegging, that could be a different story. Btw, at 5 lbs, I don't know if you'll get as much strawberry flavor.

I've never tried that. I've always been skeered of bottle bombs. But, if you're kegging, that could be a different story. Btw, at 5 lbs, I don't know if you'll get as much strawberry flavor.

Yep, I'm kegging so I'm not worried about bottle bombs. I'm just worried about tartness. I might step up the amount of strawberries but I don't want an overpowering liquid strawberry flavor.

Also, has there been any known problems with getting the strawberries out of a carboy opening? I know that a bucket is recommended but mine are out of commission.

Yep, I'm kegging so I'm not worried about bottle bombs. I'm just worried about tartness. I might step up the amount of strawberries but I don't want an overpowering liquid strawberry flavor.

Also, has there been any known problems with getting the strawberries out of a carboy opening? I know that a bucket is recommended but mine are out of commission.

I don't see any issue with it in that case. Not sure if it would have any effect on the taste or not. I cant imagine it would. Yeah, 8 lbs definitely gives it some tartness!

I've not heard of any issues. I'm sure you'll get them out, one way or another. Might be a slow and tedious process getting them in though!

Back