liquid volume starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
Question : If I make a starter that is 1-ltr do i pitch the whole ltr in a 5gal batch ? ,, Is that not to much liquid volume to add to the wort ?

And lets say I need a BIG Starter for a high OG so I make two starters , Would that be a jack ton of starter liquid volume going into the wort ?

Example : Wyeast or any liquid yeast is just a little squirt campared to the liquid volume of a starter .

a 1 liter starter I will normally pitch the whole thing, this is about 5% of the batch volume in starter volume.

a 2 liter starter, I will chill and decant before pitching.

Its your call.

You can make a starter of the proper amount based on the OG of the beer then chill it and decant the liquid off the top and pitch only the yeast.

If it does not fill the headroom in your fermenter you can pitch the entire starter. It is best to do that when the starter is at high krausen, or in the most active portion of the fermentation.

Either way is OK.

I have pitched the 1ltr into 5 gallons multiple times I just did not know when enough was enough ,

I am doing a triple , so what I have done was made my regular 1 ltr stater after sitting 48hrs i split it in half and now I have 2 x 2ltr starters , I am trying to have a really good pitch on a high OG beer

Back