So Cal Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasSchlebach

Reaction score
Calling all Southern California growers!

I'm looking for advice/help in growing hops in this dry and hot region of the USA. The soil around my house is pretty dried out and dead, the grass barely grows on it! So I'm looking into possibly growing in planters, I've read a couple articles on that. What have been your experiences with this?

Also, what kind of insects do these plants attract? I Have heard the cones referred to as "flowers", are they technically a flower and do they attract them damn flying bugs (primarily bees)???

Hop season is over now....I would use some good old fashioned backbreaking labor and amend the soil. Hops need good rich soil...the soil should be able to hold moisture. A timed drip system would be the easy way to go...But you could simply water themn with a hose...but don't overhead water the shoots. Keep em dry.

Till yourself a nice trench at least 6 inches deep and and spread the rhizomes across. Mix in some EB Stone Sure Start fertilizer with some well aged compost...that ought to get the Rhizomes going.

Most people I know had the greatest success with cascades for the first year. During the winter dig your hop trench and add some slightly aged manure. High phosphorous guano is also good addition.

Aphids might be a problem but you can just spray them off with the water...although getting the leaves wet can cause fungus/rust/rot problems. Don't worry so much about pests.

It's likely you'll do fine even if the leaves get eaten a little bit...Growing fresh organic hops will allow you to make an exceptional wet hopped seasonal beer. Good luck.

You could even grow a cover crop to till in. Hops like heat...but the soil should have good moisture retention. In-Socal you'll probably get a great crop.

I was thinking about building an awning of some sort, to provide shade and a solid foundation for the vines to grow on, instead of twine or rope. I don't have a lot of soil area though so I was thinking of keeping them in pots.

kosmokramer said:
let me know what you do, i live in upland and im in the same boat

I've done a lot of digging at my parents house off of 9th and campus and the soil seems very rich great for growing hops. I just moved to fontucky and that soil is full of rocks! I'm still gonna try to grow hops though, probably gonna use pots.

I've done a lot of digging at my parents house off of 9th and campus and the soil seems very rich great for growing hops. I just moved to fontucky and that soil is full of rocks! I'm still gonna try to grow hops though, probably gonna use pots.

Really? Im off 9campus and campus and itseams as though there are a ton of rocka here

Over off of 9 th street and 10th Ave its pretty easy digging few rock but very sandy like it use to be a wash. Campus has probably flooded pretty good in its past.

This whole area is full of rocks, I'm in alta loma, and all I do is dig up rocks!

kosmokramer said:
i was starting to think i was the only one... river rock all over!

It's an unfortunate after effect of developing housing next to a mountain. This is why I've greatly considered growing in pots.

I grew Cascade, Magnum, Willamet and Brewers Gold last year in pots and all did very well. The Magnums actually produced almost a LB (wet) of hops the first year. The Willamet produced a couple cones and everything else just grew very nicely. I am planning on puting them all in the ground this year since we moved to Lakeside CA. They were on drip sprinklers last year and I'll do the same this year. I don't plan to even put them in the ground till around Late February/March. Rhizomes wont be available till March anyway so you have plenty of time to research and plan. Happy growing!

EricT said:
I grew Cascade, Magnum, Willamet and Brewers Gold last year in pots and all did very well. The Magnums actually produced almost a LB (wet) of hops the first year. The Willamet produced a couple cones and everything else just grew very nicely. I am planning on puting them all in the ground this year since we moved to Lakeside CA. They were on drip sprinklers last year and I'll do the same this year. I don't plan to even put them in the ground till around Late February/March. Rhizomes wont be available till March anyway so you have plenty of time to research and plan. Happy growing!

Oh wow, that sounds promising! Did you notice a spike in your water bill from the drip system?

Glad to see this up. I wanted to start growing in my back yard this year! What is a good source to get the plants??

i didnt know that, i will have to ask them next time i go down there... i wonder if vanguard will get some in too, (new brew shop in la verne)

Where at in la Verne? I usually got to b3 or go see mark at the wine merchants in downtown upland.

I go to mark quite a bit. he doesnt keep to much in stock but my girlfriend and i go and sit for a beer or two most weekends. Vanguard is on the corner of fairplex and arrow. 1.50 a lb for grain or 35 out the door for 2row. new shop, only a couple months old, he doesnt have much in the way of equipment but he will order you whatever you want at cost because he aims to make his money selling ingredients!

I didn't even know this Vanguard existed! That's a lot closer than MoreBeer in Riverside. I'll have to check that out.

Hes a cool dude... even threw in a tshirt last time i was down there. They are only open thurs through sunday i believe because hes a student but will go seven days a week after the winter term i believe he said.

Sunday works great for me. Thanks for the info might go check him out this weekend.

Back