did i infect my cider? Picture included

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gambit88

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of cider a few weeks ago. Today I grabbed the one Plastic bottle i used and its all deformed and has a ring around the inside above the liquid. I dont see this ring in any of the glass bottles. I did drink one about a week after bottling with no ill effects so i assume its fine, but i figured id ask the experts now that its sat longer. I did carb the cider with the same amount of sugar i use for beer. When i cracked that first bottle it gushed a bit and seemed over carbed but it didnt taste bad. Also if there is a bug, will I kill it when i pasteurize the bottles using the methods in the sticky?

Thanks

Gambit

IMAG0122.jpg

It appears to be overcarbed. Probably not safe to bottle pasteurize at this point. You may need to *carefully* let pressure out of these, per sticky.

The sticky on bottle pasteurization. There are numerous warning about pasteurizing overcarbed bottles. Probably wouldnt hurt to test one of the glass ones. hard to tell from the pic, but the ring is probably from fermentation starting back up - be careful handling those glass bottles. You might want to chill them before opening and deal with them ASAP before they start bursting

Ya I tried to pasturise a few bottles today and the top shot off one... Boy was the missus mad to see cider dripping from the ceiling. I got a few I put in the fridge. I'll have to try one tonight

what kind of yeast did you use? if ale yeast, you might be able to put them all in the fridge and slow them enough to invite all your friends over to drink them all over the weekend. if champagne, lager or wine yeast, you'll need to recap these and recarb to be safe

Didn't you say that they are plastic bottles?? You are stove pasteurizing plastic bottles? that may not be wise... That's not what they are typically made for, and plastic flavor could leak in, or they could melt. I'm not really sure

ehhh, every time I've made a cider or beer and it left that krausen ring in the bottle, it turned out infected.

Thunderpanda, Only the one bottle in the pic was done in plastic...the other 15 or so were done in glass. That one i poured out but the rest dont have that ring so im assuming theyre ok.

Gambit

Latest posts

Back