Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teromous said:
2. Lost Coast Brewery - Tangerine Wheat

She commented that it tasted like when a soda machine runs out of syrup.

Yes! Perfect discription! It wasn't offensive enough to be "the worst" for me, but it tasted just like you described, and it was a big disappointment.

My least favorite?
Southwicks "Irish Ale"
It looks malty in the pint glass, but it tastes like budweiser only with less flavor, if you can picture that. Its hardely fit to make beer bread.

It has taken me all day to get through this thread, and I agree with the vast majority of you guys.

I have three least favorites and I am not at all a picky beer drinker

The first, a beer from founders called blushing monk. Tasted like unripe fruit, taint sweat and lung cancer with a ton of splenda. Except for this beer I LOVE founders though. GODAWFUL

Second, a winter seasonal from rj rocker in upstate south carolina called first snow, wretched. Again though, their other beers are solid.

Last is wiedemann, which surprisingly, I only saw mentioned one other time on this thread. I used to drink that **** in college because it was all I could afford, then I picked up a sixer several years later and cant believe I could ever drink one...much less 20 as I used to back in the day.

These are only my top three nastiest...I will never...ever buy a beer from leinenkugel again. The descriptions on here are all good even as wildly as they vary

Second, a winter seasonal from rj rocker in upstate south carolina called first snow, wretched. Again though, their other beers are solid.

Huh, I've never tried one of their beers. Always assumed it was a macro masquerading as a micro/craft beer (ala Blue Moon) based on the label and the name sounding kinda cheesy.

dcHokie said:
Huh, I've never tried one of their beers. Always assumed it was a macro masquerading as a micro/craft beer (ala Blue Moon) based on the label and the name sounding kinda cheesy.

They started with a 10 bbl system, then recently upgraded to 30 bbls. I really don't have that much experience with them, as the "first snow" kind of ruined me. I only know of their upgrade because a brewery just opened in my hometown and bought their old 10 bbl system

+1 to wncbrewer. I bought a sampler case of Leinenkugel last fall and totally regretted it. I gave away what I could and fought down what was left. Never never again.

A Local brew pub made a "saison" with champagne yeast and tyme and rosemary. It was honestly undrinkable. I'm sure whoever brewed it had never has a saison in their life. It was astringent and bitter in an unpleasent way and remined my friend of gravy.

bob3000 said:
A Local brew pub made a "saison" with champagne yeast and tyme and rosemary. It was honestly undrinkable. I'm sure whoever brewed it had never has a saison in their life. It was astringent and bitter in an unpleasent way and remined my friend of gravy.

That may be the worst sounding idea for a beer I've ever heard.

It's not really a saison if it's not brewed with a saison or farmhouse yeast. DFH-Stone_Victory did a great Saison with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, so I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a terrible idea. I literally just brewed a clone of this (Saison du Buff) yesterday.

Ernst-Haeckel said:
DFH-Stone_Victory did a great Saison with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme

I think I've heard of this, but really, it sounds like it'd taste a lot like turkey stuffing.

I think I've heard of this, but really, it sounds like it'd taste a lot like turkey stuffing.

I would encourage you to check out the Saison du Buff, but it was a limited release, so if you are really curious I guess you will have to brew it! The DFH release of this beer was the mildest on the spices, very nicely balanced with the rye and citra and amarillo hops; really it just tasted like a dry, slightly spicy IPA.

Here's a recipe for it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/saison-du-buff-help-199452/

Of course, not everybody would like this beer, to each his own! I trust that the champaign yeast version mentioned above truly was disappointing! The Stone and Victory releases masked the spices with sweetness, which I didn't care for.

Top 3 worst for me have to be:

Red, White and Blue back in my high school days in the 70's

Blatz Beer - In college it was the local club's Toad's Place in New Haven, CT) 25 cent beer on Tuesday nights. $5 got you 20 cups and you really felt it the next day gas wise!

Lastly, Meister Brau!

Awww, man, I put away a few cases of Blatz. I didn't think it was that bad. Red White and Blue was Blue Ribbon's ugly cousin. Don't think I ever stepped down that low.

tpitman said:
Awww, man, I put away a few cases of Blatz. I didn't think it was that bad. Red White and Blue was Blue Ribbon's ugly cousin. Don't think I ever stepped down that low.

After a few cases of anything its hard to tell the difference :drunk:

It's not really a saison if it's not brewed with a saison or farmhouse yeast.

Try telling the brewer that.

What really annoyed me was the fact it was the first time i had seen a "saison" on tap in the UK. And anyone who tried it will think they don't like the style.

Clamato. Tried to choke one down. Terrible idea. Also I agree lost coast tangerine is gross.
Ohhhh buddy, you don't just drink clamato straight... It's for making Ceasers.... Or could mix it with beer 2 parts beer to 1part clamato... I find a light beer works best... Or any mass produced big name beer will do.... And yes it is great on a hot day...
:tank:

Suex said:
Ohhhh buddy, you don't just drink clamato straight... It's for making Ceasers.... Or could mix it with beer 2 parts beer to 1part clamato... I find a light beer works best... Or any mass produced big name beer will do.... And yes it is great on a hot day...
:tank:

Cmon beer with clam juice? Who wouldn't want that?

Cmon beer with clam juice? Who wouldn't want that?

Mawg-Barf-spaceballs-5925403-97-100.jpg

This sounds like it would make Barf barf! :cross: LOL

Caesars are great, and clamato on its own is alright with a bit of pepper, but beer??????

Dominus Vobiscum Blanche

It's a wit I tried yesterday... first drainpour in ages. And yet it's 91st %ile on ratebeer, and 98th for style. Those people must be frigging sheep, as this beer was objectively awful, NOT a bad batch - the problem was due entirely to a disgusting overuse of coriander. I actually like coriander in many beers, but the intensity was beyond identifiable (which is bad enough), and to the point where I might as well have just chewed on a fistful of the stuff. Gross.

I live almost right next to the brewery and I can objectively say that all their Dominus Vobiscus beers are pretty blah... The Blanche especially and I thin it's all what you guys on Ontario can get right now.

Their single hop IPAs tend to be good (the Yeoman one is my favourite), along with their Imperial Stout, but all of their pseudo belgian beers are subpar. Their red lager is also nice on tap.

Anyone had Prager? It was bad, but we could get it for $.99 a six pack at a place that didn't check IDs. Many many years ago.

This isn't fair, but I picked up a Belhaven Scottish Ale at my local liquor store and it was so skunked and undrinkable that I returned it to the store... first time I ever did that. It had everything working against it: imported from Scotland, clear glass bottles, and probably sitting on the shelf awhile. I'm sure that it's good when fresh though.

Otherwise, I cannot even think about Molson Ice without gagging a little. That stuff was fresh when I drank it but I got super sick after drinking copious amounts of it on my 21st birthday. Funny how memories work like that.

Labatt Porter.

Worst. Beer. Ever.

I brought a six pack to my brothers house warming and cracked three open for me, my brother and his room mate. We all took a swig, grimaced and I can honestly say that was the first time I have ever dumped out a full beer. I then grabbed the other two from my brother and his room mate and dumped those out too, and then they thanked me for it.

Swamp Ape IPA from the Florida Beer Company. This is one was a 4 pack of 10%ABV and I've choked through 2 beers in 2 days hoping it would agree with my tastes today. It just has a harsh bitterness, with not much flavor or aroma and very thick. If I was to bet money I would also say it had a good portion of Rye in it (I don't care for rye in beer) as well.

EDIT

Reading the brewers website and it has Chinook in it, another reason I can't enjoy it.

Tettang, Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, and Armarillo

"This beer has an intense hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma balanced by complex alcohol flavors, moderate fruity esters and a medium malt character from the balance of 2-row, europ and cherry wood smoked."

This is the only Florida Beer Company beer I have seen at Publix (Grocery store) and unless you find a very adventurous beer drinker I don't see this beer moving. The least the distributor could of done was include other "tamer" beers in the grocery store where 99% of the beer buyers are getting an American Lager. I don't see this flying off of the shelves anytime soon.

SwampassJ said:
Tettang, Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, and Armarillo

Bleh! Why not just add ALL the hops... mixing noble hops and northwestern hops is like mixing Pepsi and Orange crush

I was recently in Tampa, and was looking for a local brew to try out. What I got was "Florida Ave." This abortion had to be the worst excuse for a brew I've ever tasted. No carbonation, thin and watery, no traces of any type of ingredients, with a subtle hint of copper. At first I thought it might have been just a bad apple, but after the first sip of the follow-up, I knew it was just god-awful.

Do not, repeat, DO NOT drink this beer.

image-1716272849.jpg

I'm surprised I don't see Rinelander on here. Back in college early 90's we would scrape up $4.99 for a case of Rinelander in longneck bottles. I left some in the freezer by mistake one time, it never froze. I let it go for a week and still didn't freeze. Old Milwaukee would be my next worse ever.

Im sure a lot of people are going to disagree, but the worst beer BY FAR that i have ever had is the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

the rauchbier, which im pretty sure in english translates to "Sh*t Beer" was undrinkable for me. I never, ever, ever want to have a beer that tastes like im drinking a glazed summer ham with bacon infused into said ham. Gross.

mewithstewpid said:
Im sure a lot of people are going to disagree, but the worst beer BY FAR that i have ever had is the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

the rauchbier, which im pretty sure in english translates to "Sh*t Beer" was undrinkable for me. I never, ever, ever want to have a beer that tastes like im drinking a glazed summer ham with bacon infused into said ham. Gross.

Lol... I kinda like that one. It has loads of mouthfeel, and a lovely sweet smokiness. Much like drinking a honey roasted ham :mug:

JoeyChopps said:

I kept seeing this utter Crap sold and people were buying it so I said hey ill pick of a can of that paired with a can of genessee(sp?) And I may grab a buzz. Took two sips of dog bite and poured it out. Went right for a can of hop crisis. So good.

Back