FlyGuys DIY mashtun - any reason to not use zync plated washers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
hey guys!

well, i went out and got everything yesterday, went to put it together till i realized the washers didn't look like stainless steel. (and they weren't :( )
Went back out to a few different places, still couldn't find it, Create a bolt only had the 1/2" sized ones, didn't see any 5/8ths ones.
I Haven't read this anywhere of why you shouldn't use it. But, is there any reason to not use the zync plated ones?

I wouldn't do it. When different metals are in contact with each other, a process called galvanic corrosion exists. Eventually, the zinc will dissolve since it is the sacrificial anode. Look for stainless steel parts on the net if you can't find them locally. ;)

For neutral water, zinc is not very soluble. However it is soluble in acidic solution like wort.

It is a normal item in river/sea water and sea food, etc, but in very low concentrations. I googled up rumors of zinc toxicity in humans, but found no definite concentrations mentioned. I'd avoid it.

and on that note, i thank ya'll!

gonna call some more places (gonna cross my fingers on plumbing stores and some powerboat places!)

I have had GREAT luck at my local True Value Harware...GL!

Try Fastenal:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/storeInfo.ex?branch=ORPO3&requestType=search

They will have SS washers, but I think you will be forced to buy a 10 pack IIRC.

i would deff head there, if i wasn't so impatient lol. i have it all sitting there and ready to roll, except for that damned washer.

and! zamal, i just called my local ACE hardware, they said they have a 5/8ths SS washer thats just a tad smaller then a normal fender washer, but is just as thick, so gonna go down after work and check it out. if that fails, i will be calling true value for sure :)

Thanks everyone! :)

Back