Do hops at flameout have any real effect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opus_X

Reaction score
My first brew is about ready to bottle abd I was thinking about the above. I added hops at 60 mins, 20 mins, 10 mins and flameout. I bagged all hops. So, the flameout hops were only in the wort for about 30 mins- the time it took me to cool the wort to < 80 degrees.

What is the intended effect of hops at flameout? Would I be better off to just dry hop?

60-90 minute hops and late addition hops including flameout have vastly different purposes.
Hops added in the 60-90 minute range are for bittering purposes, the long time in boil extracts the most bitterness but leaves almost not aroma. Hops added in the 0-20 minute range will add less bitterness but since they aren't boiled as long the beer will retain their flavor.

So yes your flameout hops have an effect, not on bitterness (in IBUs) but on flavor.

Flameout additions are CRITICAL to hoppy styles. It really gets you that deep hop aroma. Dry hopping is different, but also equally important if one want a full hop-aroma profile.

So, the flameout hops were only in the wort for about 30 mins

Why? Are you using a tea strainer? and do you remove it after the wort is at temp? Even still, the "essence" should remain.

I am a total beginner, so take what I have to say with a healthy grain of salt, but I add my hops directly to the wort - so my "0 minute hops" basically sit in the wort until I rack, provided they have settled to the sediment.

It is my (albeit limited) understanding that the hops added early in the hop schedule add to the "bitterness" while later hops add to the flavor or aroma - this is due to the boiling time -the longer the boil, the greater the bittering addition, with one hour contributing all of it's "profile" to bitterness, 0 minutes contributing all of it's profile to aroma.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading that flameout hops gave a whole new addition with the hop aroma I added it to my last two batches, excited to see the results!

Back