ebay aquarium temp controller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'll have to measure it when i get home, but either 7x5x3 or 8x6x3. depending on where you mount the controller, it's a tight fit between the back of the box and the wiring.

I just picked one of these up too... sounds like a great deal compared to the 2-stage ranco I was about to buy later this month. Plus, I always like building stuff like this

Yeah will get some uploaded this evening. I drew it out on paper, ended up being wayyyy bigger then my drawing. I was kinda pissed at myself. Then instantly started thinking, I should make it two feet taller, then it will be walk in. Woohoo. That may end up happening. I didn't tell my wife I ordered a controller for it, so I keep building onto it. Put panels on the inside, putting up shelves tonight on the inside, just so she doesn't ask me why the beer is still in the house. :p

I ordered mine on the 19th of last month and they just got here today. I emailed him and he sent a tracking number that just said it was sent.

I ordered mine on the 19th of last month and they just got here today. I emailed him and he sent a tracking number that just said it was sent.

Mine was shipped on the 20th. I just sent an email to him this morning. Hope to hear back soon. How was it shipped, USPS?

Finally got mine in yesterday. Was excited. Got the control panel done, wired it up like it shows it shows it should be wired up, and will be wiring it up properly today using the wiring diagram in this thread. :p Pictures tonight, wife stole my camera.

Sent USPS, and it had to be signed for. PITA, adds another day if you work like the rest of the world. Took him about 2 days to respond to my inquiry.

Mine was waiting for me in my mailbox when I got home.

Unfortunately, I'll be out of town this weekend, but hopefully sometime next week I'll get it put together.

ya mine was in the mailbox and i got mine in about 7 days.
i would buy another from them again it was a nice transaction.

I see you have the temp probe submersed, I assume it is waterproof? Nice ferm chamber, makes me want to start on mine!

It didn't blow up when I submersed it, so I'm assuming so lol. Right now it's trying to get an equilibrium inside. Gets too hot, then too cold. It's about got it right. This thing is well worth the money, and the 4x4x3.5 fermentation chamber only cost about 50 bucks to build. Very very awesome find by the OP. I've had wood laying around to build one since about xmas, but this is what motivated me to do it.

i don't know if i'd count on that probe staying waterproof. if it works, fine, but it also works fine if you just insulate it against the side of the carboy.

I agree, I wouldn't submerged the probe. Just tape it to the side of the carboy with some sort of Insulation like bubble wrap. I cut up one of those cheap soft portable bag coolers they gave me for free from work. Your temp readings will be very close if not the same.

I had multiple people look at it, including a chemist. The thing is one solid piece of rubber, well comes from china so 95% rubber 5% lead. Everyone agreed, submersible and best way we saw of going about it.

Mine is built and tested with a couple of lamps. Almost identical to the OP, with even the same project box, but mine has the outlet vertical and no cover plate. I dremel'ed the cuts tight and have two screw heads sticking out to hold the outlet to the cover.

It is an aquarium heater, I'd assume it can be submerged?

We also assumed that little kids toys from China didn't contain lead... ...I'm with Android, I'll keep mine on the outside or inside of a homemade thermowell.

Will this work with 12volts? To run a 120mm computer fan? I dont need to turn on and off my compressor just need to move some air around in side the cooler.

Will this work with 12volts? To run a 120mm computer fan? I dont need to turn on and off my compressor just need to move some air around in side the cooler.

Not directly, you'll have to plug a 12VDC PSU in to the 120VAC outlet.

O, yea (stupid) I guess i was brain dead for a few min, I have a ton of old router/modem/cell phone 6-18 volt DC power supplies.

Thanx!!

Here's a photo of mine.

DSC01730.jpg

So I noticed on a piece of the paper that came with the temp control that shows a capacitor with the probe? Is this correct, because I didn't get one. Any ideas? I'm assuming it's either built in or not needed.

So I noticed on a piece of the paper that came with the temp control that shows a capacitor with the probe? Is this correct, because I didn't get one. Any ideas? I'm assuming it's either built in or not needed.

Mine didn't have one either. The sheet states it to reduce interference from certain light ballasts, so I'm not too worried about it.

I emailed them with that question, they responded..

Thanks so much for your message. It is not necessary to connect with a capacitor. The message for capacitor is just for reference only.

They are not included and our unclear writing. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. Thanks.

Best regards,

- quality_link2000

-----

tom

I got mine within the 10-ish day window others have mentioned. Can't wait to build a box for it. That one above looks good Jason! I'm hoping to do something similar.

I ordered one yesterday for my Keezer project. The shipping time should be sufficient for me to build a collar, sand, and repaint the freezer.

Android,

Thank you for posting this buddy, I think I found my answer. This is what I am trying to accompish:

I have a 15CF chest freezer that is dedicated to fermenting two sanke kegs of 10 gallon batches each. During the summer my garage is hot. I purchased this http://www.chicompany.net/freezer-conversion-thermostat-remote-bulb-933.html
and think it is a POS that will work for the summer if I can ever dial in the temperature correctly.

Now the winter is a different story. I will need heating since the garage drops to 40ish at times. I was considering doing exactly what you did with the control box and receptacle. One for cooling and one for heating. The cooling is obviously accomplished by the freezer and MY heating would be accomplished by a 100W lightbulb secured within the freezer.

Does this sound like it will work?

Thanks for the help
Joe

Back