Flame Sensor/relay as Propane safety?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhi314

Reaction score
I have been lurking here for quite a while - collecting bits - my first Steam-infused mash was last weekend, it was surprising how smooth it went - I owe this to the whole board - thank you for putting your ideas out here.

I have recently purchased a Brewtroller - but want to continue to use propane to heat my HLT, however, i have no desire to fill my garage with propane should there not be a pilot while the program calls for heat.

So now I have a question with an answer I haven't found here:

Typically - for propane safety (in automated systems) there seems to be alot of inline valves with thermocouples - most of these have a limitation of 1/2 psi :( - of course there are some very pricey ones out there that go up to 25 psi.

QUESTION:
Can one use a Flame sensor (which apparently work alot like a SPST?? switch) as a control on a relay to the "trigger line" for a solenoid valve?

I think this is accomplishing the same thing as the manual valve - but I know there are alot more experienced people in here, so I will lurk until I get responses!

Again - thanks HBT for all your ideas and inspiration - my homebrewing hobby has truly become an obsession!! (and its all your fault too...)

Cheers-

Thomas

You could use the flame detector switch in series with the gas solenoid valve for high pressure applications. If you have the hurricane or banjo burners it is easy to drill the jets and drop the pressure to 11" then you can use furnace valves with standing pilots.

Thanks Kladue - I've read your write-ups before, and I think you deal with gas for a living if I remember?

It will be painfully obvious I really have very little knowledge here in two seconds... :)

I was thinking one of these:
http://www.acfurnaceparts.com/flamesensors.aspx

As some sort of inline cut-off to the solenoid trigger - but there are many different configs - flame rod, sensors, switches??

I am looking for a burner too, actually purchased a 23 jet from kitchensupplydirect.com -- but again am in no-mans land - banjo burner easier than this?

The flame sensor you chose is meant for use with one of the electric ignition modules, it is only half of the flame detection, the other half is the ignition module. The alternative is a flame safety switch like this http://www.stovelist.com/class/get_image.php?popupimage=909, but the cost of the switch is usually more than a standing pilot low pressure gas combination valve. If you are planning on using keggles for your system the 23 jet is going to be too big, check some of the threads on how to reduce the number of jets to a workable size. The cast banjo and hurricane burners and low pressure combination valve is a hard combination to beat for electric control.

Back