How many mistakes can you find??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmith179

Reaction score
Here's a video I just found while browsing the Internet at work:

The Good Eats Beer Show

How many different mistakes can you find in this episode? Hopefully people don't take this episode to heart and start brewing like Alton. Ugghh.. he makes it look so easy but doesn't really do exactly what he should. So much for taking the correct, scientific approach to brewing...

If you want to find the mistakes, look at these discussions.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/alton-brown-right-good-eats-118866/?highlight=Alton+Brown

And there's actually a thread wher one of our memebers is currently brewing the AB recipe, and a "control" doing the recipe using his own brewing process....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/another-alton-brown-good-eats-amber-waves-episode-discussion-74180/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/alton-brown-my-renew-interest-6325/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/alton-brown-man-44072/

My bad Revvy... You guys need to understand though that other "noobs" haven't seen this before. I watch that show all the time and never saw this until today. How many others out there are like me?

Just like people ask questions all the time regarding using secondaries vs. primaries, why isn't my beer carbing, etc. This is a discussion forum. If you've already commented on "past posts" regarding this, feel free not to post on mine. Again, I'm not trying to be a D, I just think that sometimes no comment is better than one saying "We've done this topic to death...". Just my two cents.

Being a bucket-only user, I actually let out a bit of a "YELP" when he forcefully shoved everything into the bucket with the (ewww) bleach in it. SO MANY SCRATCHES!!!

There were a few things he did right:
He relaxed.
He didn't worry.
He had a homebrew.

And he made beer he was proud of. Seems like a good start but I was surprised at the errors.

Revvy often wields the 'that horse is dead' stick but he also includes lots of helpful stuff while doing it. He gave links to previous discussions which was valid input imo.

I'm not gonna watch it again so my guess is 29.

My bad Revvy... You guys need to understand though that other "noobs" haven't seen this before. I watch that show all the time and never saw this until today. How many others out there are like me?

Just like people ask questions all the time regarding using secondaries vs. primaries, why isn't my beer carbing, etc. This is a discussion forum. If you've already commented on "past posts" regarding this, feel free not to post on mine. Again, I'm not trying to be a D, I just think that sometimes no comment is better than one saying "We've done this topic to death...". Just my two cents.

Look at it from the HBT "regulars" perspective. Seeing this Good Eats thing come up over and over and over again is Deja Poo. Noob or vet, it doesn't take but a second to hit the search button and bang in "good eats" before posting.

Besides, Revvy's replies were remarkably helpful with links and everything!

I completely agree. Revvy is a very smart, useful resource on HBT. His posts are amazing and insight is spot on. I just feel like a dumba$$ after receiving a response like that. Like I said, I never saw that video before and thought others would like to see it. Hopefully there's no hard feelings... I'm sure I'll need some advice in the future and don't want Revvy to not give me his thoughts...

Interesting video. I like Alton, so it was a fun watch. I did notice some termonology issues (Sparging and dryhopping) and noticed that he left the specialty grains in for the full boil.

some people use bleach, and it works just fine (other than you have to rince the heck out of it which defeats the purpose of sanitizing) and I definatley flinched when he shoved everything into the fermenter. I do sterilize in my fermenter, but only ever set things inside it.

I completely agree. Revvy is a very smart, useful resource on HBT. His posts are amazing and insight is spot on. I just feel like a dumba$$ after receiving a response like that. Like I said, I never saw that video before and thought others would like to see it. Hopefully there's no hard feelings... I'm sure I'll need some advice in the future and don't want Revvy to not give me his thoughts...
Nah, there was nothing wrong with your post. I take the other approach than what jkarp mentioned: if you don't want to discuss something just don't click the thread. Seeing a topic rehashed ad nauseum should cause no heartburn to anybody whatsoever. This is Home Brew Talk...not Home Brew Search and this is the General Beer Discussion sub-forum.. We're all here to learn and discuss all-things-beer. Sometimes over and over and over...it's the nature of discussion forums.:)

Ohh.. yet another "Alton Made Mistakes" thread. People, he brewed beer, live with it.

On the subject of asking the same question over and over.... Your right, this is a TALK forum, not a SEARCH forum, but.... when a topic was discussed IN DEPTH less than 2 weeks ago... the last thing we want to do (and you are asking us to respond) is rehash. Searching is going to provide you the information/response you want in the quickest manner... period.
Bravo to Revvy for providing links... I have reading to do!

Enough with the fricken search thing. I like you guys, but seriously going on about it is a bit ridonkulus.

The simple way to handle it would be. "Already discussed, here are a few related links".

Not. "Already discussed, did you search you dumb noob?"

BTW, the mods can merge related threads if you ask.

Sorry, that I'm being blunt, but if you are going to use the word search and noob, don't use it in the same post. :).

+1 on Revvy being a god.

... the last thing we want to do (and you are asking us to respond) is rehash. Searching is going to provide you the information/response you want in the quickest manner... period.
I'm sorry but if you don't want to rehash...don't click the thread. Nobody is forcing anybody to rehash anything. Maybe others DO want to rehash. I guess I just don't understand the attitude that: "This topic has been discussed to my satisfaction so everybody else please stop discussing it."

I'm currently doing an experiment on the method and recipe. I brewed the control on Monday. That beer is the same recipe, but with practices most home brewers have learned since their first beer. Fermenting in glass, 60 min boil, no rinse sanitizer, chilled wort with wort chiller, made a starter, controlled fermentation temp etc. I'll brew the recipe exactly how Alton does in a few weeks, then bottle both batches.

I think that Alton's recipe isn't any better or worse than the instructions that come with most kits. Whether its Mr. Beer, or even extract kits. Starter kits and "how to brew shows" will always simplify things so the average user will not be scared off.

The simple way to handle it would be. "Already discussed, here are a few related links".

Not. "Already discussed, did you search you dumb noob?"

Might I mention that that's exactly what Revvy, the first commenter, did. And it was the OP, not a commenter that mentioned "noobs".

I think what we should do is all film a brewing session. Then we can send them all to Randy Mosher, Charlie P, and John Palmer and have them give us feedback via multiple threads on how many mistakes we made. :D.

As much as I don't care for poorly done or rushed brewing videos, if Craigtube or Alton Brown are able to get people interested and learning more, it's good for the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back