American IPA Furious Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, so maybe the hop schedule isn't settled either. I thought I got
A lot of Chinook when I tried it on tap. Lots of summity tangerine when
I tried it in the can. Surly really did some brewing magic here. I'm tempted
To do a small addition of warrior at 60min and add a chinook/summit hopburst
Bittering addition at 30-enough to keep the IBUs around100. Then again if the
Grandmaster doesn't think those are in there....I'm in absolutley no position to
Second guess....
Tony

After brewing this and tasting a friend's batch of this also, I have changed the hopping schedule. I am going with just .5 oz Warrior at 60 and moving all the hops until later in the boil. That will allow me to up the amounts to get more flavor and aroma out of them. I am also going to increase the dry hop to four oz.

I kegged/bottled last week. I've had a few already. The bottles are not carbed yet, though the kegs are rolling. I've been comparing the original side-by-side. Color is right on, as is the bitterness and flavor. However, I am short on aroma. My dry hoppping was done in a grain bag, weighted down. I may have had poor utilization due to this. Next time, I will just drop in the dry hops without the bag. I may add some additional DH as well.

It's still a big success!

Dave

Just killed the 2nd 3-gallon keg :tank:

The bottles are great, a little over-carbed, probably need to wait a little longer.

Still a touch short on aroma, and not as clear. Otherwise, there isn't much difference compared with the can. Next brew is exactly the same (after a porter I promised my SWMBO), except that I'll use some gelatin and the DH's will be sans bag!:rockin:

What I thought was righteous, is that the SWMBO, who doesn't like many of my hop-forward beers, actually commented that this one was "pretty good" - at 94 IBU's and 6oz of DH for 12 gallons!!!!!! :mug: Must have gotten the balance right!

I love this beer!
Dave

Great Job Skisolo. I'm going to go back and brew your recipe instead of messing with it. No doubt ditching the bag is the key to great aroma. I've dry hopped with and without a bag and it's not even close how much better the bagless is.:mug:

Bump............

Well I'll be damned.

I spent a week reviewing the recipes and ideas here, taking a little from everyone's posts, combining them into 'my' version and tinkering forever in BrewSmith to make it look right.

I Brewed it today. I pitched, cleaned everything up, started to relax and what do I find in my mailbox?

The new BYO magazine, with you-guessed-it in the replicator.

Not at all what I was expecting.

Antanum FWH (!), Warrior 60min (as expected), then no additions until 2 min, with Warrior, Ahtanum, Amarillo and Simcoe (~ 1oz TOTAL). Dry hop with the same 4 (<1oz total). :eek:

I haven't it plugged into BS, but they still give the IBU as 99.
WTF?
I guess there is more than one way to make a great beer.

http://byo.com/stories/recipes/article/indices/25-cloning/2062-surly-brewing-co-furious-clone-replicator

Jason

PS Good call on the Golden Promise + 2 row combo

Rebrewed today. Will report, though I don't have a comparison can. Drank all the orignals.....

Dave

Damn good. I've scored a 38 in 2 separate competitions. Want to take this over 40.

Going to try the aromatic noted on the Surly website.

Adjustments and latest recipe to be brewed tomorrow:

Brewer: Rusty Kettle Brewing
Beer: Amplified III Style: India Pale Ale
Type: All grain Size: 12.5 gallons
Color: 21 HCU (~12 SRM)
Bitterness: 97 IBU
OG: 1.065 FG: 1.014
Alcohol: 6.6% v/v (5.2% w/w)

Grain: 8 lb. American 2-row
16 lb. Golden Promise
2 lb. 8 oz. Belgian aromatic
2 lb. 8 oz. American crystal 60L
4 oz. Torrified wheat
Mash: 75% efficiency, 152F 60 min.
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.060 13.5 gallons

Hops: 3 oz. Warrior (16.8% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 20 min.)
.75 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 20 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 15 min.)
.75 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 10 min.)
.75 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 10 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 5 min.)
.75 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 5 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, FO)
.75 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, FO)
4 oz. Amarillo (7d DH)
4 oz. Simcoe (7d DH)
4 oz. Ahtanum (7d DH)

Half Fermeted with Pacman, half with 1272 American Ale II

Hey SkiSolo, have you tasted your latest edition yet? I imagine you are in the dryhopping phase...but I'm curious. I'm about to give this a second try and would like to settle on a recipe soon. Have you seen Yooper's Furious Clone? I'm planning on bittering with Summit like she does and I like the idea of adding Ahtanum to the kettle hops. Otherwise I'm planning on keeping close to what you just brewed. Curious if you could tell the difference with adding the Aromatic?
Tony

Yes I did, and I am dissapointed - kegged 1/2 of it 3 days ago. I think I am going back to the Munich/CaraMunich rather than the Aromatic - maybe in combination. It doesn't seem as well balanced now. A lot more bittering comes forward and stays - beer's young, but the other 2 versions I did were better this young. Hopefully, the hopbittering issues were not as related to the substitution of some 2-row for some of the GP. Oh well, this is going to be a long project. :rolleyes: I may take this back to 5-gallon batches.:drunk:

However, the increase in the hop schedule really works for the DH. :rockin: Summit is more of a tart taste to me, but YMMV. I think the Ahtanum, along with so many other hops is a bit subtle to add a lot to the boil. I think it gives more character to the DH.

That being said, I didn't use all of anyone else's advice either! Have a great brew!

Dave

Update: I just looked up Yoop's recipe. It actually is very similar to mine - Munich/Caraminich version - scale it. I see the Summit is for bittering - not an issue. I used Warrior. She added a bit of black for color. I may need to drop back to all Golden Promise :(. It really dough-balls up; I was hoping to save a little effort by subbing some 2-row.

Dave,
Thanks for all your help. I'm headed back to Minneapolis for thanksgiving...wonder if Surly sells kegs...anyway I'll brew this up with the Yooper grainbill and your hopbill and see how it goes. Can't wait to get my paws on the real thing. Gonna head to the Happy Gnome an suck down a fresh pint as soon as I get there....
Tony

I'm heading back there myself. I'm planning on picking up a case of furious, a 1/2 case of Wet (if still availalble) and a couple bottles of Darkness. Check out the website Surlybrewing.com.

Dave

I may have spoken too soon. :tank:

The batch I reference above was the Wyeast 1272. I just kegged and bottled the second half which was fermented with Pacman. Much clearer, much better at it's young age. :eek: I'm reserving judgement for a week or 2.......

Yeast really does make a difference.:eek:

And Yoop, if they have Abrasive when I'm there, I'm also picking that up. My mom lives just up the road from Edina Liquors. Couldn't schedule the time for the NHC. They carry most of Surly's products. Last time I was there, they were expecting Abrasive to arrive Friday of that week. Unfortunately, I was leaving Wednesday. :(

Dave

Speaking of yeast....is there a concensus as to the best yeast to use for a Furious clone? I'll plan on saving some extra space in the car just in case abrasive is available! Thanks all!
Tony

1335 was good in one of my incarnations, but Pacman tastes pretty good so far!

Based on this "experiment" I would not recommend 1272.

I'm leaning toward 1335, but winds could change......

Dave

I'm really interested in your Pac Man batch. That yeast is such a beast! When I used 1335 I underpitched and it never took off. Ended up pitching S-05 to finish it off.....Pac Man is much more forgiving so I'd love to use it in my Furious clone if it's just as tasty. Either way looks like I'll be sending yet another order to AHS. Only have two strains on hand S-05 and Denny Conns favorite.
Hope Abrasive is available around Thanksgiving when I'll be in the Cities. I sure would be thankful for THAT!

Im curious what recipe is the real deal, NB and Midwest recipes are pretty different from each other. Any other suggestions, or is there a recipe from BYO or anything? I want to brew this but not shure which recipe to brew from,since Ive never had any Surly I was wondering which was closest as I wouldnt be able to compare it. Im thinking about making this as my only batch this season and maybe getting it in my keg.

Edit: Also Id like to note that Ive found that NB version claims to be the actual recipe and not a clone as it states. If anybody would like to comment on whether the different versions make a difference, Id like to know what you think.

Well just found this one from BYO thought Id share it though: not shure if its too outdated or what or spot on?

Surly Brewing Company
Furious - IPA Clone
(5 Gallons/ 19 L,
extract with grains)
OG = 1.060 FG = 1.014
IBUs = 99 SRM = 15 ABV = 6 %

Ingredients
6.6 lbs. (3 kg ) Muntons light, unhopped liquid malt extract
1.5 lbs. (0.68 g) Hugh Baird or Simpson Golden Promise malt
10 oz. (0.28 kg) Belgian aromatic malt (25 °L)
12 oz. (0.34 kg) crystal malt (60 °L)
2 oz. (57 g) roast barley (480 °L)
3 AAU Ahtanum hop pellets (first wort hop) (0.5 oz./14 g of 6% alpha acid)
20 AAU Warrior hop pellets (60 min.) (1.25 oz./35 g of 16% alpha acid)
4.8 AAU Warrior hop pellets (2 min.) (0.3 oz./8.5 g of 16% alpha acid)
1.5 AAU Ahtanum hop pellets (2 min.) (0.25 oz./7 g of 6% alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Amarillo hop pellets (2 min.) (0.25 oz./7 g of 10% alpha acid)
3.2 AAU Simcoe hop pellets (2 min.) (0.25 oz./7 g of 12.8% alpha acid)
0.25 oz. (7 g) Ahtanum whole leaf hops (dry hop)
0.25 oz. (7 g) Amarillo whole leaf hops (dry hop)
0.25 oz. (7 g) Simcoe whole leaf hops (dry hop)
0.1 oz. (2.8 g) Warrior whole leaf hops (dry hop)
1&#8260;2 tsp. yeast nutrient (last 15 min.)
1&#8260;2 tsp. Irish moss (last 30 min. of the boil)
White Labs WLP 007 (Dry English Ale) or Wyeast 1335 (British Ale II) yeast
0.75 cup (150 g) of corn sugar for priming (if bottling)

Step by step
Steep the crushed grain in 2 gallons (7.6 L) of water at 153 ºF (67 ºC) for 30 minutes. Remove grains from the wort and rinse with 2 quarts (1.8 L) of hot water. Add the liquid malt extract plus the first wort hop addition and boil for 60 minutes. While boiling, add the hops, Irish moss and yeast nutrient as per the schedule. Now add the wort to 2 gallons (7.6 L) of cold water in the sanitized fermenter and top off with cold water up to 5 gallons (19 L).

Cool the wort to 75 ºF (24 ºC). Pitch your yeast and aerate the wort heavily. Allow the beer to cool to 68 ºF (20 ºC). Hold at that temperature until fermentation is complete. Transfer to a carboy, avoiding any splashing to prevent aerating the beer and add the dry hops. Allow the beer condition for one week and then bottle or keg. Allow the beer to carbonate and age for about two weeks and enjoy your Furious IPA.

All grain option:
This is a single step infusion mash. Use 8.0 lbs. (3.63 kg) 2-row pale malt to replace the liquid malt extract and increase the Golden Promise malt to 3.0 lbs. (1.36 kg). Mix the crushed grains with 3.75 gallons (14 L) of 170 °F (0 °C) water to stabilize at 153 ºF (67 ºC) for 60 minutes. Sparge slowly with 175 ºF (79 ºC) water. Collect approximately 6 gallons (23 L) of wort runoff to boil for 60 minutes. Reduce the 60-minute hop addition to 1 oz. (28 g) Warrior hop pellets (16 AAU) to allow for the higher utilization factor of a full wort boil. The remainder of this recipe and procedures are the same as the extract with grain recipe.
Note: If you have difficulty locating Golden Promise malt, substitute Maris Otter.

Go with the NB one. That one IIRC has tons of Simcoe dry hop. That is the signature of the beer. There is no where near enough hops in the recipe you posted to be a clone of that beer.

Go with the NB one. That one IIRC has tons of Simcoe dry hop. That is the signature of the beer. There is no where near enough hops in the recipe you posted to be a clone of that beer.

Yeah, I agree. I finally concluded that I want to buy a NB kit, if they ever have them not sold out every single freakin time I look.:(

You can put together the kit on your own. You can see the recipe on the website in PDF format. If you search around, you can find the dry hop quantities used. I believe it is 8 total ounces of dry hops (per 5 gallons), but I forget the ratio (something like 4 Simcoe, 2 Amarillo, 2 Warrior).

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/Furious_Pro_Surly.pdf

I did ,and I did the math,even doing a 2.5 gallon with exact ingredients it wouldnt cost me half what that kit is,it would cost more than half. It would cost me for 2.5 gallon batch like 40 + bucks for shipping and everything, thats why Im going to get the kit and split it and bottle one batch and keg the other in my 3 gallon keg. Simcoe and amarillo are like 3 bucks an oz.

Back