Figs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sockmerchant

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing an (semi-imperial) breakfast stout, and I'm going to add some dried figs to it.

I was inspired by a local beer I quite enjoyed on a couple of occasions.

The current plan is to combine some of the first runnings with the figs and then to caramelize them, and add them at the last 15 mins of the boil.

I dont think it will leave a pronounced taste but thats not really what I'm after either. It was quite subtle in the beer i linked above, but came out more as it aged. They did contribute to the dark fruit flavour I tasted though I beleive.

Was originally going add the figs at secondary...

Give me your thoughts beer people!

who knows what that brewery does but i would guess they add the figs post fermentation. if you add them to the boil i don't think you would detect even a subtle hint of them in the finished beer, but maybe you would.

After a google search, I found a writeup the then brewer did.

It sounds like they did it very much how i planned.

"...and we decided to mix things up a bit and use some Turkish Figs in the boil. Initially just a fun idea, we realised that these were gonna add some interesting character to the brew. To get as much character as possible out of the figs, I caramelised them up with some of the Stout wort, which resulted in a sticky, delicious mess, and internalised vocalisations of that “Now, bring us some figgy pudding” song.""

"The day before, I spent a few hours patiently caramelising figs and the barbeque burner in our warehouse. 30 kilograms, done in batches until the plump, sweet figs (Lerida variety from Turkey) began to push out the tiniest wisps of rich, dark caramel… I’d sit there, mesmerised by the bubbling fruit until a bubble would burst from their surface, a plume of steam and toffee smoke letting me know that it was time for the next batch to go in."

I'll do another batch in the future and try them in the secondary. They will probably be different.... lets see!

The caramelized figs are freaking delicious! Need to make some for a marinade

BBf0hZSCMAE8Iws.jpg:large

Back