Marvel's The Avengers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
*DISCLAIMER- NOT a comic book reader*

WOW.

How could a mish-mash of mediocre movies come out good?

Thor was lame.

The HULK (pick one) sucked and was ridiculous. That a man could turn into a 3 story being dense enough to lift a finger was preposterous and the scripts sucked...never mind leaping over MOUNTAINS.......

The second IRON MAN sucked horribly.

Captain America lost me after the first 10 minutes, have tried twice with no success to go back and choke it down.

Recipe for disaster? throw in a little Scarlet Johansen in a TIGHT black outfit, and Samuel L Jackson attaining his usual Bad Assery. Stil not convinced?

Really, the Key to making this movie awesome, was taking a little of the BEST of all of the characters, and mixing in a HEALTHY dose of very clever humor.

Epic? Hardly, but so much better than any of the aforementioned movies.

After a good start, mostly centering about Scarlet Johansen and her super powers of.....um....asking questions and stuff.....,our first real combat scene involves Captain America being a little out matched by Loki.

Suddenly ACDC is dropping the effing hammer, and you begin to hope....could it be? Are they doing the simple thing and getting it RIGHT??????

Enter IRON MAN in all the splendor of what they got right in the first IRON MAN with a little more selflessness and heroic mentality.

If you are like me and loved the first Iron Man, but hated the second one......prepare to have your fist involuntarilly raised with the first and fourth fingers pointing towards Odin.:rockin:

Apparently Jeremy Renner was in that movie. I forgot about him too.

Apparently Jeremy Renner was in that movie. I forgot about him too.

Not his fault, he acted well, but his supernatural ability to hit a target moving 50 mph 200 yards away was a little unbelieveable......especially since it was not noted as a superpower.

Maybe you mis-understand Tytanium. Thor wasn't horrible, just mediocre and unmemorable.

I define that as lame, since it was supposed to be AWESOME.

I don't seem to have the same dislike of some of the other movies. After all the negative reviews on Thor, I found it to be better than expected, not great, but entertaining enough. I liked Captain America quite a bit and Iron Man 2, while not as good as the first, was enjoyable. I hated the Ang Lee Hulk so much I never saw the last one.

However, I think The Avengers did a great job of pulling all the characters together and was very happy with the final product.

I pity the fool who doesn't like the Avengers

Agreed. you did read the whole thing, right?

Really, the Key to making this movie awesome, was taking a little of the BEST of all of the characters, and mixing in a HEALTHY dose of very clever humor.

I loved it, I was just surprised that they did so well.

As to the other movies, I am PICKY!!!

Especially after IRON MAN knocks it out of the park in the first movie, and then comes back with an "entertaining" sequel?

Sorry, I don't want just the next hollywood "action" movie. I expect a lot more.
95% of what Hollywood does can die a painful death as far as I care.

I do have to say, I think Hollywood is doing a much better job adapting comic book characters to movies these days. It seems in the last ten years or so they've gotten quite a bit better. Fifteen years ago, I probably wouldn't have had a lot of hope for an adaptation.

Agreed. you did read the whole thing, right?

I loved it, I was just surprised that they did so well.

As to the other movies, I am PICKY!!!

Especially after IRON MAN knocks it out of the park in the first movie, and then comes back with an "entertaining" sequel?

Sorry, I don't want just the next hollywood "action" movie. I expect a lot more.
95% of what Hollywood does can die a painful death as far as I care.

Hey Cheezy, this is off topic but have you seen Punisher: War Zone?

I don't seem to have the same dislike of some of the other movies. After all the negative reviews on Thor, I found it to be better than expected, not great, but entertaining enough. I liked Captain America quite a bit and Iron Man 2, while not as good as the first, was enjoyable. I hated the Ang Lee Hulk so much I never saw the last one.

However, I think The Avengers did a great job of pulling all the characters together and was very happy with the final product.

Are you a comic reader? While two intelligent people can have completely different opinions, I figure that a comic fan might love or hate something based more on the consistency to the comic books.

Are you a comic reader? While two intelligent people can have completely different opinions, I figure that a comic fan might love or hate something based more on the consistency to the comic books.

Not really, I mean, I've read comic books and when I was much younger I collected certain ones. I wouldn't say I was any kind of comic book fan or anything.

Sometimes I think it's just a matter of not expecting much. Particularly with the Thor movie, I had heard such terrible reviews. When I decided to watch it on Netflix one day I came away thinking, "Yeah, that was okay!"

Not really, I mean, I've read comic books and when I was much younger I collected certain ones. I wouldn't say I was any kind of comic book fan or anything.

Sometimes I think it's just a matter of not expecting much. Particularly with the Thor movie, I had heard such terrible reviews. When I decided to watch it on Netflix one day I came away thinking, "Yeah, that was okay!"

Pre-conception.

Not discussed often among us humans, but it is HUGE!!!!

Pre-conceptions can easily make or break an experience. If I feel that a car ride is going to be LONG as eff, it usually gets me there before I know it.

Then going back, I say "That ride wasn't so bad!!!!" and it takes for EVER.

Pre-conception.

Not discussed often among us humans, but it is HUGE!!!!

Pre-conceptions can easily make or break an experience. If I feel that a car ride is going to be LONG as eff, it usually gets me there before I know it.

Then going back, I say "That ride wasn't so bad!!!!" and it takes for EVER.

I agree. When I go in expecting the worst, I'm often pleasantly surprised. When I go in expecting greatness, I am too often disappointed. Perhaps this is telling me that most things are swimming somewhere in the middle of a crowded pool of mediocrity.

I did not read those comics, but as a Whedon fan I was let down.

I actually thought that both ironman and Thor and captain America were good films. The Hulk sucked twice. The avengers was awesome. . .
They are of course adaptations of comic books. I think a lot of people miss this and think less of the films because they are too comic bookish.

Thor stuck to the comic??????

BS says I. (knowing nothing;))

Iron man did too?? again bs.

It is possible to stay true and have a poorlydirected film.

Capt america exceeded my ****** factor inthe first 15 minutes.

Well they stuck to thd old comics like Lincoln stuck to the reality. But they both about the characters. I believe marvel reboots the comics and they closer match the movies now. Iron man even looks like Rob junior now

So as I understand it. The Incredible Hulk from 2008 was the tie in to The Avengers. The first Hulk from 2003, was the adaptation much like the Toby McGuire Spider-Mans. That being said, I don't think either Hulk film was all that great, but The Incredible Hulk followed the book story line better (not a comic reader either, just researched the backstory).

As for the Marvel films, I've been pleasantly surprised with all of them. Thor was my least favorite.

Also, Black Widow and Hawkeye don't have super powers, they are the highly trained SHIELD agents that unite SHIELD to the Super Heros for the Avenger Initiative.

My problem with HULK is his ability to leap tall buildings and mountains and ****. Superpowers are fine, but that is just stupid. Especially in the 2003 one.

cheezydemon3 said:
My problem with HULK is his ability to leap tall buildings and mountains and ****. Superpowers are fine, but that is just stupid. Especially in the 2003 one.

As opposed to say: wolverine being able to survive a gunshot to the head or being ripped in half and dragging his upper half to the lower half that hulk threw a great distance then healing back into his whole self? Its comics man, **** doesnt need to make sense. Thats the point.

I honestly have never stayed awake for the Ang Lee Hulk. It stinks. Bad. Ed norton and Liv were definitely a step up. the whole Eric Bana movie was just terrible. The acting the story the crappy CGI. I was really glad the other one was made

OK. Not sure why, but I hated the bad guy in Capt America. His *****ey fake german accent and "shoot the children anyways" cliches were the worst part of the film.....HOWEVER, ignoring that, I watched the whole movie. Really quite good.

Back