I am ONE impatient cuss!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
OK, I admit it...I have a problem. Hi, Im Allen, and Im impatient! The batch I brewed for my first batch was the Mr. Beer kit brew that was "Classic American Light". The instructions for it said to let it ferment for a week, then bottle, let it sit for a week and then chill and enjoy. Now, I have read these forums enough to KNOW that those instructions aren't the best in the world. I actually let it ferment for a little over two weeks (should have been 3 or 4, but patience isnt a virtue for me). I bottled this last week and it has been sitting in a closet on a shelf since.

Well, I read the insructions again and it said to chill and enjoy after a week so I said, how bad can it be? I popped one of the bottles into the freezer for 45 minutes along with a glass.

I took it out, sat it in the sink (just in case...the bottle was HARD when I took it out of the closet) and carefully turned the lid. That familiar "shishhhh" escaped from the lid as the seal broke and I knew I had carbonation. Poured it in my glass and it was nice and clear. Had a small head on it. I smelled it and it smelled a little fruity, but definitely was beer! Then I tasted it.

Let me say here and now that I am glad that I didnt crack open that coors light that has been in my fridge for over a year. This beer isnt that bad. It definitely could use some more carbonation, but it isnt flat by any means. Had a nice, clean refreshing taste to it and I could see drinking a few of these as I am building my man cave or brewing a new brew. Seriously, I was pleasantly surprised.

I think Im gonna try one every Sunday night just to see what changes with it. Overall, I would say that it is better than Bud Light, but not quite as good as a Michelob at the moment. Definitely drinkable.

Let'em sit 2 more weeks,then fridge at least a couple days. It'll be better yet. Patience is the first,most important thing to learn in brewing.

Back