The most awesome mistake of my life!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
So this summer I tried to make an IPA, but I over-carbed it and it had an abnormally high amount of floaties in it, so until today, it had sat in my garage fridge bottle conditioning.

Today I decided to try to filter and keg the case of bottles I have, that are now 6+ months old. I pop the caps on the case and slowly pour each bottle into my Ale Pale. Once I have the entire case of bottles in the pale I put the pale in my fridge to cold crash and settle. I leave the top off to try to kill some of the over-carbing.

Then I racked it to my secondary using the built in spout and leave the sediment in the bottom of the ale pale. I then rack the secondary to my keg. I put a mesh cloth over the end of the racking cane with a zip tie holding it in place to help filter even more of the floaties out.

I hit the keg with 15psi to seal it, then bled the Co2 out. I have it at 3psi, just enough to push the pretty much already carbed beer out the tap. I just pulled a sample. It's like a little hop party in your mouth but only mature aged beer was invited. Now I'm thinking about entering it in the local competition in January.

3psi will turn your beer flat, its not enough co2 to keep it carbed. if 10-12 psi gives your a bad pour you might need longer lines.

-=Jason=-

You might wanna drink it quickly, you are almost guaranteed some oxidation.

Other than that, congratulations on your first kludge! Mine was last year when I took a cider that I couldn't stand (too much Splenda but somehow not sweet enough). I dumped it into a carboy, froze out a bit of the water, and boom! Best apple wine I ever had.

If you have to rack make sure every vessel you rack into is purged with CO2 first. A lighter should extinguish at the lip of the carboy or bucket before you start pumping the beer in.

Back