How long can you soak in Iodophor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa-in-utah

Reaction score
I use Iodophor to sanitize all my brew equipment. I sanitized it last weekend cuz I was going to brew but couldn't make it happen and it has been soaking since. So my question.......

My equipment has been in the sanitizer for a week. Do I need to dump it out and re-sanitize with a new batch. I use a clear rubbermaid container to sanitize and the Iodophor solution doesn't look as "concentrated" as before. Would the cleaner soak into the plastic? I know it discolors plastic......

Any advice. I am brewing tonight and want to make sure I have everything cleaned and sanitized properly. Will probably make a new batch of sanitizer to be safe, just wanted to hear your thoughts!!!

Iodophor is not supposed to last longer than 24 hours. Most people go by the color or the smell. Some use test strips.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about the solution except the discoloration which is no big deal.

I would rinse off the old solution and make another batch of sanitizer and do it again before using the pieces.

Didn't know if it would keep so that was my original plan... Thanks HB99. Always better to err to safety. Especially since Iodophor is pennies to make and ingredients can get spendy to waste!!

It has been covered. Like my original post, I notice it is lighter in color. Guess my question is answered!!

Thaks all!

Good article abracadabra

I know Dr. Landman suggests making a new solution after 24 hours. But he also says that if it has an amber color it is still effective as a sanitizer. So his advice on this point is contradictory.

He also notes several factors such as exposure to sunlight and the atmosphere.

Keep in mind that Dr. Landman is in the business of selling this stuff so his advice here might be biased.

I have made a sanitizing solution that I kept in a 5 gal Igloo cooler and have used it for over a month and I have never had an infection. But I was also mixing at 2X the concentrated level Dr. Landman suggests.

So I'd think that the concentration, the biological and organic load factor of the water along with the 2 factors Dr. Landman mentioned would all play a part in determining the lenght of time that a solution was functional.

I know most of the people on this forum would argue as Utah pointed out it's cheap why risk it. But I did want to post my experience with sanitizing solution that exceed a month in age for others that might read this tread and be on a tight budget.

I'd follow Bill's advice and make up a new batch. Iodophor is cheap and fairly hassle free so there's no reason not to. Better safe than sorry I always say.

Side-Note: There is no reason to soak for extended periods in Iodophor. I usually go with 2 minutes in the solution and then air dry, even while drying, you are still getting contact from the solution still on the equipment (according to the interview on Basic Brewing Radio even 2 minutes submerged is not necessary, but I am anal about sanitation).

Brewing Clamper said:
Also remember that iodophor will deteriorate plastics over time. Prolong soaking will only accelerate this.

What evidence do you have to back that statement up?

Concentrated iodine is shipped and stored in plastic bottles.

It will discolor plastics but discoloration and deterioration are 2 separate issues.

i just started using this stuff last week, i made 2 batches one in a 5 gallon better bottle with an airlock and one in an open 5 gallon bucket. the solution in the 5 gallon better bottle is still brown. the stuff in the bucket was clear the next morning. so i keep all my fementers closed with airlocks full of solution now.

abracadabra said:
What evidence do you have to back that statement up?

From the guy that makes Iodophor. Check out the podcast from basicbrewing.com where they interviewed him. He talks about transfer hoses and beer lines developing cracks & fissures with prolonged exposure to iodophor.

Brewing Clamper said:
From the guy that makes Iodophor. Check out the podcast from basicbrewing.com where they interviewed him. He talks about transfer hoses and beer lines developing cracks & fissures with prolonged exposure to iodophor.

I can't check out the podcasts as I don't have high speed internet.

But you now seem to be refering to clear vinyl (PVC) hoses.

You stated that iodine deteriorates plastics.

Although clear vinyl is a type of plastic there are many other different types of plastics such as: CPVC, ABS, PETE, HDPE, LDPE just to name a few.

Don' take this personnaly but it seems to me that your assertion that iodine deteriorates plastics is misleading at best. Maybe if you had stated that iodine deteriorates PVC or whatever it would have made more sense.

I am pretty sure that you are trying to help people out not post misleading or confusing statements.

And I am just trying to find out the facts. And clear up any misinformation or confusion for myself and others that might read this thread. And I was curious if iodine did deteriorate plastic. Although it did not make sense to me that the MGF would sell Iodine in plastic bottles if it caused the bottles to deteriorate.

One last point: there are other types of hoses other than clear vinyl that can be used. One type of plastic hose can be used with very hot water like CPVC but it's flexible rather than ridgid, I think it's call Polypropylene base TPR (thermoplastic rubber) operating temps up to 275 degrees F.

Back