Fermentation, Contamination, Oak Chips Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate4g63

Reaction score
Sorry to roll this all into one thread. I've been enjoying some Brewers Best kits lately and decided to brew up their Whiskey Barrel Stout. First question, fermentation has either finished or stopped. Had lots of activity the first 4 days and now since early tuesday, no bubbles in the airlock. Which leads me to my next question. I'm planning on checking the gravity tonight because I know just because the airlock isn't showing activity doesn't mean fermt. has stopped. So Ill post that reading asap.

Has anyone had fermt. happen and be done so quickly? OG was 1.064 and my temps are steady at around 68 to 70. Used Safale US-04 which did say it was a fast fermt. yeast.

To my next questions. Is it ok to pop off the lid to check the gravity now? Am I risking anything? Generally I've been checking the FG at bottling time because the two week times have been spot on. Thanks in advance.

My active fermenting (bubbling) lasted less than 48 hours yet it's still in the primary because, as I've learned from posts here, the yeast is still alive and is cleaning up byproducts of fermentation. I started it a week ago saturday, and will be leaving it for another week before I even bother to check the gravity.

popping off the lid of course risks infection. make a sanitizer solution and wipe down the outside of your bucket before you open it if you must

it's not that unheard of to have the main ferment happen that fast. don't be fooled into thinking it's ready to bottle if it has reached anticipated final gravity though. there shouldn't be any issue with taking the lid off to take a sample, go for it.

And thats generally what I've gathered form reading too. I like to let the yeasties do their thing for at least two weeks..

I may still take a reading tonight though...

Back