Munich for a pale ale SMaSH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Reaction score
Planning on making a basic SMaSH recipe for my second all-grain later this week. Started out with calculating a basic pale 2row and amarillo, but I was worried this would leave the beer TOO pale and lacking in any sort of body to back up the hops.

So then had the idea to try Munich instead of 2row, so the recipe looks like this:

Beer: Munich/Amarillo SMaSH Style: American Pale Ale
Type: All grain Size: 5.25 gallons
Color:
23 HCU (~13 SRM)
Bitterness: 42 IBU
OG: 1.049 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.0% v/v (4.0% w/w)
Water: Gypsum
Grain: 0 lb. American 2-row
12 lb. American Munich
Mash: 65% efficiency
60 min mash. Mash temp 152-154
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.040 6.5 gallons
Whirlfloc 15 min
Hops: 1 oz. Amarillo (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Amarillo (8.5% AA, 45 min.)
.25 oz. Amarillo (8.5% AA, 20 min.)
.5 oz. Amarillo (aroma)
Yeast: WLP001 1 vial

Obviously part of the point of doing this kind of SMaSH is to learn more about the malts/hops involved, but I was wondering if this was a good idea, or if Munich has some sort of flavor quality that I wouldn't be expecting? I've only used it as a specialty grain and don't know if it'd hold up as a base malt.

I would be weary of using regular munich, it might be overwhelming in malt flavor. I have used light munich in a SMASH with excellent results (with chinook), and it was borderline over malty. Imagine an oktoberfest malt profile on a moderate amount of steroids, but not too much...

Edit: it is used as a base malt, so I wouldnt worry about any mash changeups, if that is your concern.

Right on, that's basically what I was afraid of.

What kind of malt is good for a basic pale ale SMaSH do you think??

Body is not a condition of beer color. Your mash temps control that. With proper mash temps you can maintain body and allow the beer to be dry enough to balance against your hop charge. You could also go a step further and adjust the water profile for a balance shift there too.

Munich and Amarillo could be wonderful. If you mash it right. and your water is right.

Body is not a condition of beer color. Your mash temps control that. With proper mash temps you can maintain body and allow the beer to be dry enough to balance against your hop charge. You could also go a step further and adjust the water profile for a balance shift there too.

Munich and Amarillo could be wonderful. If you mash it right. and your water is right.

Thanks for the feedback. What my (limited) understanding of mash temps right now consists of is lower temps = more attenuation, which would mean a dryer, lighter-bodied beer, correct?

If you were brewing a munich/amarillo SMaSH how would you mash the munich to achieve a dry-ish pale ale with a little body/malt to back up the hops, but not overwhelming?

Vienna is a great basemalt if you want to go malty. Otherwise, Optic/Pearl/Maris Otter/Halycon etc. all make good base malts for an APA-like SMaSH.

Alright after reading the responses and doing a search on Maris Otter I think I'm going to use MO, sounds like it will provide more of what I'm looking for.

Thanks everyone!

Looks like you have your direction but, I'll respond to your query anyway.

For my taste, I'd have gone about 10 to 12 pounds Munich at 150*F for 60 with a .6 BU:GU ratio. And would have adjusted my water to balance the RA betwen malt and hop accents.

Back