Fileting a Pilsner w/ Kolsch Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used kolsch yeast on a pilsner and it fermented well, but I've read to get a really bright beer I would need to filter the beer. I already plan to cold crash outside, but I'm not sure what I need in order for the filtering process. One issue is that I naturally bottle condition and I don't want to filter out so much yeast that carbonation doesn't take place. Would I need to add a priming yeast during bottling?

Please advise.

If it were me, I'd add some kind of fining and then bottle, let it carbonate a couple weks and then give it a couple of weeks lagering in the low 30's. I typically use gelatin and add it along with my priming sugar (I keg). Others will add it before to the secondary and let it clear there, and then bottle (or keg)

I didn't even consider gelatin. I haven't used it yet in any beers.

I see it binds to yeast and helps them fall out of suspension? So I'll want to do this in a clearing tank or during bottling, and not in primary if I want to harvest yeast right?

Will this leave enough yeast to naturally carbonate though?

Never bothered filtering my kolsch, just a good long lager period. In the 999 swap, here is what one reviewer had to say.

MMB's Kolsch 41/50
Appearance 3/3
Crystal clear, golden with a very small head that did not persist. This is the clearest homebrew I've had to date. Great job!

I see it binds to yeast and helps them fall out of suspension? So I'll want to do this in a clearing tank or during bottling, and not in primary if I want to harvest yeast right?

Will this leave enough yeast to naturally carbonate though?

I wouldn't do it in pimary if you want to harvest the yeast. I've only used it at the time I add priming sugar and have no problems. I believe many others add it to the secondary and then latter bottle/keg and have no problems with carbing. There is still enough yeast left to do the job.

I wouldn't do it in pimary if you want to harvest the yeast. I've only used it at the time I add priming sugar and have no problems. I believe many others add it to the secondary and then latter bottle/keg and have no problems with carbing. There is still enough yeast left to do the job.

Adding at bottling makes perfect sense. The yeast will still be in the bottle, and probably by the time they have to floc out they've done their jobs.

I add gelatin in secondary a few days before I bottle.

Never had a problem with carbonation.

That being said ... I've never heard that gelatin is for settling out yeast, but is for helping with proteins which cause chill haze.

Back