These yeast are champs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stageseven

Reaction score
Since I can't leave well enough alone I decided to do another recipe of my own, losely based on some dubbel recipes I saw here. It used White Labs Trappist Ale yeast, WLP500. Here's the recipe

6.25 lbs Extra light dry extract - 3.25 lbs at start, 3 lbs 10 mintues before end of boil.
1/2 lb 80L crystal malt
1/2 lb Caravienne
1/4 lb Aromatic Malt
1/4 lb Special B
1.5 oz Styrian Goldings (4.1% AA) 60 min
1 oz Saaz (3.2% AA) 15 min
White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale
2.0 lbs clear candi sugar in primary at 4 days

Grains were mashed in either 2 or 3 quarts of water for 60 minutes at 155 F.

The OG before adding the candi sugar was 1.065. I took a SG reading before adding the candi sugar that came out to 1.019. The candi sugar was boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water, cooled, and added to the fermenter. I didn't take a SG after that, but in beersmith 2 lbs of candi sugar adds .014 to the gravity. So my total OG should have been 1.079, correct? I just took a FG reading and it came in at 1.012. Beersmith's estimated OG was 1.075 and esitmated FG was 1.017 though.

I did take the temperature of the beer when I took the readings and ran them through the hydrometer adjustment in beersmith, so all the measurements are the corrected ones. I checked the hydrometer in water, and it reads at 1.000.

So according to beersmith I"m looking at 8.77% ABV, as opposed to 7.5% estimated. Am I doing something wrong with my calculations, or did these yeast just attenuate much better than expected? I'm not complaining or anything, just want to make sure I understand this correctly. :mug:

I don't use beersmith, but I suspect it is applying the same attenuation rate to all of the fermentables. The OG is within brewing error, but the FG will be off as the candi ferments 100%.

Interesting. So does that mean that distilled water with candi sugar in it should ferment back to 1.000? I did notice that when I put 2 lbs of candi sugar by itself in a 5 gallon batch in beersmith, it has a FG estimate of 1.004. I guess that would explain the differences in my actual and expected FG.

Back