Brewing Classic Styles question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelero

Reaction score
in brewing classic styles, jamil and john palmer have a recipe for a scottish heavy 70/-, in which it says to boil 1 gallon of the wort in order to caramelize the sugars, then add it back to the rest of the wort. and that's all it says. can anyone help me with the specifics of this? is that 1 gal of the wort after the steeping grains (roasted barley) and the bittering hops? or just after the malt extract(1/2, if i were to add the other 1/2 of the malt extract at knockout)? thanks,
c

Just take 1 gallon of the wort you would normally start your boil with. Dont add any hops to that part. Return the concentrated portion and proceed with the boil as you would with any other beer.

so, after steeping the grains and adding the extract, but before the hop addition?
thank you,
c

I ordered this book on Monday from Amazon and they have an estimated shipping date 1 week later. What the hell! I was hoping to read it this weekend along with the other books I ordered on brewing.

I am glad you have your book at least.

so, after steeping the grains and adding the extract, but before the hop addition?
thank you,
c

yes (to the question above).

I am currently sitting on a carboy full of the alternate recipe for this (with the caramel, honey malt, etc). I went for an 80/- and used the scottish ale yeast rather than WLP001 as the book suggests....at the only tasting I have done thus far it was really really phenomenal and unique - I've never had a true scottish ale before and I think I'm really going to like it. You'll have to let me know how this version turns out.

Type: Extract
Date: 03/06/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.85 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 96.23 %
0.19 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.77 %
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.4 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.043 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.09 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 10.4 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 14.2 SRM Color: Color

so, I'm going to brew this today. two final questions:should I add all of the DME before I take out the gallon to be caramelized? or should I divide it up and only add 1/2, with the other 1/2 reserved until knockout?
how long do you think I should boil the caramelized portion?
I'll let yall know how it turns out,
thanks,
c

I don't remember if I listened to this particular podcast, but here's where Jamil discusses brewing Scottish ales, and the specific recipes for them in the book.

If you are doing a concentrated boil already, I doubt there is any need to boil down some of the beer in a separate pot. You are already doing that in your main pot. Perhaps boil for a little longer than you normally do.

It really depends on whether he does full boils or not, doesn't it?

The point of doing the separate boil is to get carmelization through the Maillard reaction. If you were to increase the boiling time of the entire wort portion, you would get overcarmelization. You'll be better off to draw an amount equal to one gallon of the expected final wort volume, add the appropriate amount of extract, and then boil that in a separate pot to achieve the necessary carmelization.

If you are doing a concentrated boil already, I doubt there is any need to boil down some of the beer in a separate pot. You are already doing that in your main pot. Perhaps boil for a little longer than you normally do.

No, the boildown will make a big difference. The main wort won't actually caramelize. The separate portion you boil down is much easier to caramelize due to the smaller volume.

Back