Final gravity keeps going low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I just checked on my Stout from last week, called the Dark Knight and the gravity is currently at just shy 1.010 and I think it can still keep going. Using Nottingham...

I did a 10 gallon batch, struck at 171*, mashed 155* for an hour and sparged in about a half hour using 167* water. I have used Notty about 8 times and it always gets to about 1.010 although the Danstar sheet says it stops at 1.012. Do I just need to mash hotter, 160*? Switch yeast that doesn't attenuate as much? I am trying to get a hold of some Safale US-04, but that might not come too soon. I have a source for some Fullers, but it too won't be until at least two or three weeks from now. Thermo is calibrated, digital, over ready.

Any thoughts on this little problemo? Just makes for a really dry tasting stout what with all of the black roast and black patent in the mix. It is what I wanted just at a higher FG of maybe 1.015 or so.

I just checked on my Stout from last week, called the Dark Knight and the gravity is currently at just shy 1.010 and I think it can still keep going. Using Nottingham...

I did a 10 gallon batch, struck at 171*, mashed 155* for an hour and sparged in about a half hour using 167* water. I have used Notty about 8 times and it always gets to about 1.010 although the Danstar sheet says it stops at 1.012. Do I just need to mash hotter, 160*? Switch yeast that doesn't attenuate as much? I am trying to get a hold of some Safale US-04, but that might not come too soon. I have a source for some Fullers, but it too won't be until at least two or three weeks from now.

Any thoughts on this little problemo? Just makes for a really dry tasting stout what with all of the black roast and black patent in the mix. It is what I wanted just at a higher FG of maybe 1.015 or so.
Every batch I have brewed using the Notty yeast takes it down 1.010 also, I havent tried it on a stout though, looking back at my notes on a 1.072 stout I brewed, and using US-05 gave me a FG of 1.018, it is a little onthe sweet side, but thats what I wanted, mashed at 154, I think 160 would be too high to mash, I would just go with the US-04 on your next stout, and stay in the 154 range, good luck bro.:mug:

I haven't experimented with Notty enough to anwer questions about it's behavior. But if you're stout really leaves you wanting you could always backsweeten with lactose and call it a milk stout.

171 seems like a hot enough mash to me. Have you checked your themometer? Even if it's calibrated in boiling water (212) it may be off at mash temps.

Back