US-05 and High Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plankbr

Reaction score
I am starting to have a some 5 gallon batches of my IPAs, all the same grain bill but using different hops each batch, turn into IIPAs due to 83+% yeast attenuation. I am using Safale US-05 for all of the IPA brews. I am starting to dial in ~75% mash efficiency, which is awesome.

Setup
-------------
1) Rubbermaid 10 gallon cooler
2) Double batch sparge
-------------
Not that I'm complaining, but what is it about this yeast that makes this happen? The beer comes out fantastic, but due the attenuation, I fall out of the style range I am trying to achieve. All mashes are ~152*. Controlled ferm temps from 59*-62*. Do I need to adjust my grain bill with less base malt (2-row) to accommodate for this? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

If you want less alcohol and are happy with your FG, you can decrease your OG by using less base grain. If you are happy with your OG and want less alcohol with a little more body, you can increase your mash temp a few degrees, creating a wort with fewer fermentable sugars
Hope this helps

Can you give us an example of typical OG and FG's you get and what your grain bill looks like?

It could be something as simple as too thin a mash or something a little more involved such as not enough crystal type malts.

Can you give us an example of typical OG and FG's you get and what your grain bill looks like?

It could be something as simple as too thin a mash or something a little more involved such as not enough crystal type malts.

Sure thing:
I have been getting better efficiency mashing 1.5 q/gal so all batches have been done this way.

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.051
Efficiency: 73% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 6.08%
IBU (tinseth): 65.87
SRM (morey): 9.01

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83%)
1 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (7.5%)
12 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.7%)
0.5 lb - American - Wheat (3.8%)

All of my FG's are anywhere from 1.001-1.012, not 1.018 that brewer's friend calculates.

What are your mash parameters?

Are you 100% satisfied with the beer?

I think that recipe you posted would taste even better at 1.012 fg than at 1.018.

Brewersfriend uses 72% as the default attenuation for us05, which seems 5-10 points low. So there's part of your problem. You can adjust the estimated attenuation on the site very easily. I would guess you should finish around 1.012, given your recipe. If you're happy with your beer I'd keep on brewing as is, but if you want to raise your FG, I'd mash around 155 for a shorter time.

My last ipa was a similar grain bill. Mashed low. Us05 took it from 1065 to 1004. Little more attenuated than I was shooting for, but good. 152 should be a fine mash temp. If you want more sweet malt notes add more Carmel. I think a fg @1018 is way too high for an ipa. Seems a bit out of style. I'm going to brew a iipa @12% with hopes of finishing@ 1012.

Brewersfriend uses 72% as the default attenuation for us05, which seems 5-10 points low. So there's part of your problem. You can adjust the estimated attenuation on the site very easily. I would guess you should finish around 1.012, given your recipe. If you're happy with your beer I'd keep on brewing as is, but if you want to raise your FG, I'd mash around 155 for a shorter time.

Exactly this.

However, if some of your brews are coming out as low as 1.001 as you mentioned, that might be a totally different issue (I'm thinking sanitation). No yeast should really get that low with that grain bill and mash temp.

I brew mostly IPA and DIPA all the time and thats about where i finish. If your in the ballpark of 1.018-1.020 then your beer had better have started in the 1.070's and up.
Your grain bill looks good but i miht bump your Cyrstal up a smidge.
I also agree to mash a bit higher if its drying out on you.
If your a dry yeast guy try Mangrove Jacks yeast if you can get it. I always keep a couple packs for emergencys and its a good yeast.

Latest posts

Back