Attenuation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris5899

Reaction score
I just brewed my first AG beer, an IPA. OG was 1.064, one week after pitch is 1.007. My question is, does the change in gravity tell me anything about whether my yeast pitch was correct or if i should expect any particular off-flavors, etc? New to brewing and trying to use this experience to better educate myself for next time.

That's crazy high attenuation. What yeast did you pitch? What temps did you mash at or are you using extract?

I agree, that's a high attenuation for one week. Did you make a starter and was the starter wearing a cape?

Mashing was sketchy......after initial strike i was low at 147 (target was 151), took better part of an hour to get it up to target (don't ask, see my thread 'brew day fiasco!!). I used wlp001 which i used in a 2 liter stater (per mr malty and beersmith). Fermented in a closet at around 68 - 70 ambient temp.

Sorry for the choppy sentences, on my mobile.

From that you can derive apparent attenuation and ABV of 89% and 7.48% ABV. That would be reasonable for a beer that has more than 10% simple sugars such as sucrose. And could be reasonable for an all malt beer mashed at about 145 for more than 90 minutes.

Knowing recipie, mash temp, yeast, and fermentation temperature will help.

Taste buds are the best way to detect off flavors that I have found.

If you did a fast ferment test in parallel to the fermentaion it might give you a better idea about the health and quantity of yeast pitched, but without that data it's a guess.

There you go:

High attenuating yeast, lower mash temp, sizeable starter, all contribute to the high attenuation.
Provided the fermentation temps and sanitisation are all good, you shouldn't have any off flavours.

Was the fermentation fast and furious? At those temperatures and if the starter was done to optimize yeast growth, and no water bath the fermentation temperature may have approached 75 or even 80. An extended rest period may be in order if you taste cider like flavors.

Fermentation started within 12 hours and stopped (at least bubbling in the airlock) at about 48 hours. No airlock activity at all after that. I had 5.25 gallons in a 7 gallon pail, krausen never hit the lid. Friday will be 2 weeks and I'll be racking to a secondary and dryhopping for 5 days then cold crash 2 days then bottle. I'll be checking the gravity again when i rack.

Thanks everyone, i appreciate the feedback. When i tasted it after 1 week, it seemed ok, not like solvent. It was hoppy and clean so hopefully everything is on track.

My bet is on a low mash temp. Long and low for me at least has yielded some very high att. performance of my yeast. Remember Lower mash temps yield higher alcohol beers, with less body.

Back