Help with stabilizing and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuel

Reaction score
Hello. I have a wine that has a specific gravity of 1.040 and i wish to bottle it with that specific gravity because i want it just a little bit sweet. What do i have to do in order to stop fermentation and be able to bottle? I want to bottle it and i dont want the bottle to explode because of co2? Do campden tablets work for that?

That's hard to do. If it's still fermenting, you could try sticking it in a fridge until it's totally clear, and then racking it onto some campden and sorbate to make sure fermentation doesn't recur. that's tough to do though- because yeast don't stop just because we want them to. Stopping an active fermentation is like stopping a freight train.

If the yeast falls out, and the wine clears, though, sometimes you can encourage the yeast to not start up again by making sure there are no lees (lots of yeast in the lees) and the wine is completely clear before attempting to stabilize.

So does bottling can be done after 30 days in the buckett with airlock and all fermentation has been finished with a SG of .990 and ? Can it be done without stabilizer? Can it be done with campden tab.?

It can be done when fully fermented at low specific gravity of 1.000 or less but with some risk.

A gravity of 1.040 without potassium sorbate and metabulsulfite would not work at all. At that gravity you will need to stabilize prior to bottling.

If SG is lower than 1.000 can it be stabilized with campden tablets and then bottle? If so how much time and under what conditions should it be done with the campden?

Let it ferment dry, let the yeast drop out for a few weeks, THEN rack it off the lees, add the campden and potassium sorbate, and backsweeten.

1.040 is really, really sweet, way up in dessert wine territory. You could also just mix the wine 1:1 with fruit juice before you drink it if you don't want to use a stabilizer.

Back