Beer in Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BangorBrewer

Reaction score
So I've got an APA fermenting away in a glass carboy with a stopper and an airlock on top. The fermentation has taken off and beer keeps making its way into the airlock's chamber. I don't have any tubing on hand that will fit into the stopper, nor have I ever rigged one up. Is it a big deal that beer is getting in there? I have already once taken the airlock off, dumped it out, resantized it and the stopped and put it back on. I have a feeling that the Krausen is due to fall anytime and fermentation to subside, since it has been going pretty vigorously for about 40 hours or so and it's a pretty low gravity beer OG of 1.050 or so.

Anyway, any tips would help. Thanks.

I use the same hose I use to rack with, it should fit your stopper. Put the other end in a pot of water.

my racking hose, which fits bottle fillers, spigots and auto-siphons, isn't anywhere near the same size as the hole in my carboy bung, or carboy cap.

if you have a 3 piece airlock, you might be able to remove the float, and put the tubing over the airlock stem itself.

Otherwise, keep it sanitized, and when the krausen falls you'll be ok. do put something sanitary in the airlock...not just plain water.
vodka is popular, but so is a little bit of sanitizer solution, like Star-san.

if you primary in a carboy, you really need a 6.5gallon carboy, not just a 5gal (which is more suited to secondary aging). even then, some beers will blow off more than 1.5 gallosn of headspace (like belgian wit beers) so a blow off tube is a handy thing to have.

I choose to primary in ale pails to keep plenty of space, since they are usually 6.5-7gallons

What i do for a blow off is the following
Since a picture is worth a thousand words:
th_BlowOff.jpg

I use a short length of plastic from a broken racking cane. This fits into a standard bung and the other end of the platic connects to a older racking hose that blows off into a 1 gallon jug filled with a weak solution of sanitizer.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

BeerCanuck said:
What i do for a blow off is the following
Since a picture is worth a thousand words:
th_BlowOff.jpg

I use a short length of plastic from a broken racking cane. This fits into a standard bung and the other end of the platic connects to a older racking hose that blows off into a 1 gallon jug filled with a weak solution of sanitizer.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

That's a fine idea. Have you ever had problems with the line getting clogged?

-D

Llarian said:
That's a fine idea. Have you ever had problems with the line getting clogged?

-D
No Problems with clogs and its nice saying good bye to filling air locks during your primary

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Latest posts

Back