Shipping bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
One of my businesses is considering using some home brew that I make as a promotional materal. We're going to whip up some waterproof labels for each bottle and send a sample of 2 bottles of beer.

First of all, is it legal to ship beer via UPS or the USPS?

Secondly, does anyone know of any suppliers of possible packaging materials for beer? I was thinking maybe some kind of foam insert to hold the bottles in so they don't bounce around too terribly.

Oh wow...so I guess my only option is to hand deliver.

Pack the each bottle individually in bubblewrap (I use two layers), double ziploc bag them, and fill up any empty space in the box with shredded paper. Pack it up, seal it up, address it, and take it to UPS. The hardly ever ask, and if they do, tell them it is "promotional material."

Having participated in the "12 Beers of Christmas" trade this past winter, this is pretty much how all of us handled the trading/shipping. There was one person who shipped by USPS, but I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risk of pissing off the feds if somehow a bottle does break, two bags leak, and somehow someone does figure out what's inside...

Mine are yeast samples and any alcoholic beverage contained is a byproduct and not intended for consumption.

Pack as described above except don't use newspaper or paper. The stuff compacts and does not come back so it makes a horrible packing material. Use the packing peanuts or more bubblewrap. As I pack stuff everyday, I know of which I speak. Send UPS and tell them it's supplements and you'll be fine. Hell, you could even call it yeast samples if you want. :D

+1 to yeast samples! If you find yourself having to explain, you don't have to lie;). There is live yeast and the person your sending them to could culture that yeast to grow more. It's not your fault that their byproduct contains alcohol!

as far as I know can't use homebrew as promotional material due to all sorts of policies and health concerns. But if you are looking to ship, fedex tends to be the way to go.

+1 to yeast samples! If you find yourself having to explain, you don't have to lie;). There is live yeast and the person your sending them to could culture that yeast to grow more. It's not your fault that their byproduct contains alcohol!

UPS is on to the yeast samples thing....

I just recently shipped 2 growlers by FedEx. 1 to Kansas and 1 to Georgia. I wrapped them both in bubble wrap with three wraps a peace then the empty space filled with news paper as much as I could stuff in the box. The Kansas growler made it ok but, the one going to Georgia got damaged and was never sent to the destination. FedEx just told me it was undeliverable.
So if beer did leak anywhere are FedEx found out I have not heard anything from them about it. In fact I just received my insurance of $100 for the damaged growler.

When I ship UPS I weight and measure the box and pay and print a shipping label on their website. It doesn't ask what the contents are that way and I don't have to lie.

Back