Heater core

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halister

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about going to junk yard and picking up a heater core for 10 bucks. I bet they make great wort chillers?

If your talking about an automobile heater core, I don't think I would trust that the solder is safe. IMHO

NO.
If your talking automotive heater core you are at risk for heavy metal poison from lead based solder.

Im pretty sure this is one of the dangers from moonshine and the lack of being able to get all the antifreeze out one of the things that can make you go blind.

I hope this was a joke!

now on the other hand if you used the heater core to recirculate cooling fluid, like put it outside and circulate through a plate chiller then to the heater core, then back to the plate chiller, this could work and save water in the winter.

Lucky_Chicken said:
now on the other hand if you used the heater core to recirculate cooling fluid, like put it outside and circulate through a plate chiller then to the heater core, then back to the plate chiller, this could work and save water in the winter.
This was my first thought!! I don't know what everyone else first thought!!

Thought I would ask just for the fact it's a mini radiator. I have a thick plate chiller now can just put two SS elbows on it and drop it right in like wort chiller right?

Go find a pond in Buffalo that normally has a 2-3" layer of duck $hit floating on top of it. Cut some ice from the pond and throw it in your wort to chill it. It'll be more sanitary and safer than a heater core.

I don't think any of our ponds really have any ice on them this winter

Ha ha I bet that works awesome. Cools, mixes and aerates. Put a burner under it and no stop brewing. Oh well I just will have to get off my wallet and go to home depot.

Oh the geese are not back yet!

Back