God's Gift to Humankind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
is beer. But he also gave us..

POUTINE!

If you've never had poutine, you are in for a treat. It's a Canadian food (Quebecois actually) that has a long and storied history.

Basically it consists of french fries, smothered in cheese (curds) and gravy (bbq sauce.) The legend goes that some guy ordered it at a dive in rural Quebec as he was in a hurry. The chef threw fries, cheese, and gravy into a bag and it was dubbed poutine (a mess).

It's a fantastic after-drinking snack that was popular after the bars in Quebec. Being homesick from time to time, I've done my best to replicate it with stuff readily available in U.S. grocery stores.

1) Fries. I use McCain Five Minute Fries, but any fries will do.

2) Gravy. My parents smuggle me real Poutine gravy over the border, but when I'm low, I get a can of store brand or Franco-American (Kraft now I think?) chicken gravy, and add some spike seasoning and a dash of BBQ sauce. Real poutine gravy is tangy.

3) Cheese curds or chef style shredded mozza works well in place of curds.

Very easy to make. Bake fries and heat gravy. Put down one layer of fries, cover with cheese, ladle on a bit of gravy. Add rest of fries on top, cover in cheese, and ladle on rest of gravy. Serve immediately.

That sounds awesome. I could definitely see myself eating that after drinking.

Or before drinking.

Or during drinking.

Mmmm....another inspiration.

Last time I saw wings posted here I made some Chipotle Wings and ones I called 'Dragon's Breath' hehe.

Time for some Poutine. I have lots of brown stock in the freezer for such an occasion. Curds are easy to find here. Got potatoes and a dutch oven to fry them in. Maybe this weekend.

Thanks for the inspiration! :D

Orpheus,
Being an ex-pat from Quebec myself (move to Ontario), the two loves that I left behind were my favorite brewpub L'Inox and my Poutine. Just to clarify to things though on poutine - the cheese curds MUST squeak (only the freshest cheddar cheese curds will do) and it's pronounced Poo-tin, not poo-teen.
The lack of fresh cheese curds is what got me into cheese making, and moving away from L'Inox got me into homebrewing ...

I've never had it, but after watching Bourdain try various artery-hardening variations, I've vowed to try next time I am in Montreal.

iBeer said:
Orpheus,
Being an ex-pat from Quebec myself (move to Ontario), the two loves that I left behind were my favorite brewpub L'Inox and my Poutine. Just to clarify to things though on poutine - the cheese curds MUST squeak (only the freshest cheddar cheese curds will do) and it's pronounced Poo-tin, not poo-teen.
The lack of fresh cheese curds is what got me into cheese making, and moving away from L'Inox got me into homebrewing ...

Know any good cheesemaking forums?

MMM....I need to make this.

Vermicous said:
I've never had it, but after watching Bourdain try various artery-hardening variations, I've vowed to try next time I am in Montreal.

:off: Damn, I used to have Lone Wolf and Cub vol's 1 through like 12 or something....I wonder what they are worth now...please don't tell me. :D

iBeer said:
Orpheus,

Yeah I miss much of the food and beer from Montreal.

You wouldn't happen to have a recipe for poutine gravy would you?

Good Lord they call for Demi Glace in that Epicurious one heh. I wouldn't use that, it's overkill imo. One of the Brown Stock recipes should suffice. It takes a lot of effort and time to make Demi Glace!

I am wondering though, where the tartness comes from. I am guessing some variations add perhaps a touch of cider vinegar.

There was this one place I used to order from all the time, Mamma's in Montreal. They had the BEST poutine gravy ever. Our relationship got to the point that I would call to order and they would immediately know it was me and know what I wanted Poutine w/ extra cup of gravy and a Chicken Souvlaki. This brought my order just over the $10 minimum for delivery.

I could never get the recipe out of them, as they said it was a secret, but they did tell me it involved simmering whole oranges and apples in the gravy. The stuff was to die for!

Orpheus said:
I could never get the recipe out of them, as they said it was a secret, but they did tell me it involved simmering whole oranges and apples in the gravy. The stuff was to die for!

It sounds to me as if Poutin gravy is like Chili, Curry, BBQ....etc...you know the stuff that everybody has their own version of. I'll probably do a brown stock reduction, maybe sweeten it a tad and possibly some malt vinegar and if I was feeling really up for it perhaps some form of fruit type thing. Hmmm, maybe this weekend....

zoebisch01 said:
It sounds to me as if Poutin gravy is like Chili, Curry, BBQ....etc...you know the stuff that everybody has their own version of. I'll probably do a brown stock reduction, maybe sweeten it a tad and possibly some malt vinegar and if I was feeling really up for it perhaps some form of fruit type thing. Hmmm, maybe this weekend....

Awesome! Let me know what it's like. If you're successful, I might like to try your recipe!

Orpheus said:
Awesome! Let me know what it's like. If you're successful, I might like to try your recipe!

Okee dokee. I'll have to take notes, which is good as I have been forcing myself to write down all my formulas. I didn't write down the Brown stock recipe, but it is a standard roast the bones along with carrot, onion and celery chunk at like 450 °F until everything carmelizes nice then into a stock pot, cover with water and add whole tomato, Bay, Thyme and then you bring it up just to a boil and then way down to the lowest flame setting for a long time (usually overnight I go). I usually don't salt my stocks though cause I like to control it on the back end of the dish.

"DAMN!!! I was doing so good on my cabbage soup diet until I read this thread..."
fat guy.jpg

"Now...Which way to Quebec?"

I am psyched! Got the Cheddar cheese curds today. Tomorrow it's Poutine baby! And maybe some of the Midlife Crisis Pils. :ban:

I will keep notes on my version and post. Hopefully I can take some pics...but no promises :D

I am thinking of brown stock base, perhaps a little malt vinegar to add a slight tang, a little sweetness...maybe..but definitely lots of black pepper. It seems that should be close in theory to what I have been reading of one of the various 'original' methods. Although one source is pointing to a Veloute base....I think I am going to stick with the brown stock base though.

At any rate I shall call it Rattlesnake Poutine in honor of where I live :D (Rattlesnake would be an interesting topping hehe)

Not sure if these are the same, but in New Jersey I believe they call them Disco Fries. They are available at most diners. Sounds the same but not the same cheese or gravy.

Wow, this sounds good!:ban:

Fresh cheese curds are easy to get over the border in Wisconsin. In fact, I think they are pictured on the state flag. Fried cheese curds are definitely the state dish - and damn tasty! I plan to try this once someone nails down the 'gravy' part. That's the only thing that seems really open to interpretation.

jzal8 said:
Not sure if these are the same, but in New Jersey I believe they call them Disco Fries. They are available at most diners. Sounds the same but not the same cheese or gravy.

Yar, it looks as if there (like so many dishes) are a gazillion renditions. Since I read this topic I have been reading up on it and there are pretty much 2 classic routes, but the base ingredients:

Fries
Cheddar Cheese Curd (all the pictures I have seen feature uncolored)
Option 1) Veloute (from chicken stock) based
2) Brown stock based

I must say I am a bit conflicted on which route to go at this point. I am leaning toward a brown stock based sauce with some spices and acid to create a tang. Perhaps even slightly sweet.

It seems that all the info points to those two being the main routes people take.

zoebisch01 said:
Yar, it looks as if there (like so many dishes) are a gazillion renditions. Since I read this topic I have been reading up on it and there are pretty much 2 classic routes, but the base ingredients:

Fries
Cheddar Cheese Curd (all the pictures I have seen feature uncolored)
Option 1) Veloute (from chicken stock) based
2) Brown stock based

I must say I am a bit conflicted on which route to go at this point. I am leaning toward a brown stock based sauce with some spices and acid to create a tang. Perhaps even slightly sweet.

It seems that all the info points to those two being the main routes people take.

Haha well now that I think of it, the Jersey version of course has a style only Jersey could uphold. For cheese it must be Nacho Chedder Cheese, maybe substitute some cheddar. For gravy, anything you can find in a jar that is tasty and awful for you. :)

Here is the recipe I came up with for the gravy. I'll follow up with procedure and hopefully some pictures later...it is sort of a cross/combination resulting from the things I have gleaned about the gravy. At any rate, it came out very good.

Poutine Gravy

4 C Brown Stock ( I make my own, if using store bought my salt addition should probably be omitted)
1/2 C Malt Vinegar
2 Tbs Molasses
1 Tbs + 1 tsp Sugar
2.5 tsp Sea Salt
2 Tbs Shoyu
1 tsp Spice Mix
pinch Lemon Zest

Spice Mix:
The next ingredients you grind in a spice grinder, the resulting mix is used:
1 Tbs Black Peppercorn
1/2 tsp Allspice
5 Cloves

Simmer all the ingredients together, thicken with ~3 Tbs cornstarch + 3 to 4 Tbs Cornstarch slurry. You want it fairly thick.

The rest is simple: Make your fries, top with curd and spoon on a hefty helping of gravy.

I just want to clarify something in this recipe. The entire amount of Spice Mix is not used, but 1 tsp of the mix after the ingredients have been ground finely together. Also, the zest goes in at the very end.

Dude,
About cheesemaking forums, I've looked but I've never found one. I got a lot of information from New England Cheese Making - they answer all kinds of questions for cheese makers.
www.cheesemaking.com
If anyone ever hears of a cheesemaking forum, please post!

That gravy recipe looks really good. For anyone who just wants a simple alternative in order to get a decent glimpse into the taste, I would recommend going to a larger grocery store and look for a little package of 'St Hubert's' gravy. They sell them all over the place, in the US too. It comes in a little envelope like you might buy powdered chilli sauce.
St Hubert is a chain in Quebec that started marketing stuff like they're gravy to the general public.

iBeer said:
Dude,
About cheesemaking forums, I've looked but I've never found one. I got a lot of information from New England Cheese Making - they answer all kinds of questions for cheese makers.
www.cheesemaking.com
If anyone ever hears of a cheesemaking forum, please post!

:off:

Haven't heard of any good forums myself but I here is a really good place for cultures, etc:

http://www.dairyconnection.com/hobbyiest.html

The book from the cheesemaking.com by Ricki Carroll is pretty good. I wish it were a bit more technical but it is a solid reference if you're just starting out.

A few notes...

The curds are a bit on the large side, but are really the only ones available...in retrospect I probably should have halved them lengthwise, but that was too much work :D

I used Russets. My method is to microwave them until they JUST begin to yield to finger pressure. Then you halve them, and then cut nice steak fries. Fry in 365 F Tallow until golden brown. This method elimates the traditional 'double frying' which I find tedious.

You let the Poutine sit (after the curds get thrown on top the hot fries and covered with hot gravy) for a few minutes and they get soft and stringy.

Looks like poutine zoebisch!

When I made mine last week I just broke the cheese curds up in my hands as I was putting them on the fries. Cutting them would be too sissy-ish!:D

So, how did it taste?

Orpheus said:
So, how did it taste?

It was pretty danged awesome. That's pretty much what SWMBO and I had for dinner. It made a lot. I finished mine (I was hooongry from cutting trees down) and SWMBO ate about half.

Here's what I've been able to do.

I only found cheese curds last week and it was complete serendipity. I found them in the Pennsylvania Dutch Market here. This is a picture of the cheese curds and the no name brand poutine gravy my parents smuggled in from Canada:

4579-poot1.JPG

Here's a closeup of the finished product, hot and ready to be eaten:

4579-poot3.JPG

and here's one final shot, ready to go:

4579-poot2.JPG

You guys are now addicted...

It is so easy for us here to get that... It will surely grow on the states sooner or later!

A couple years ago, I went on vacation in Toronto. The Poutine (with capital P because it is stronger than a religion up here!!!) was new in that area's McDonald's. So, my friend ordered a trio wit a "poo-tin" instead of the fries. But, he said Poutine the way we say it here in Québec. With a BIG french-quebecer accent. The girl did not understand anything he was saying until I said: poo-teen with my "english" accent.

Found it really funny.

Damn, you guys make me wanna get this for diner... mmmmmmmmmmmm... ungry!

Ok finally figured out what I did wrong:

Curds:

6376-march225.JPG

Potatoes ready for frying:
6376-march224.JPG

Chaos Love Magnet to go with the Poutine:
6376-march226.JPG

Poutine!

6376-march227.JPG

Man...I might have to get on this....that last pic looks hella good! What if you made a beer batter and did the fries that way? MMMMMM...Beer Batter....

Well time for Poutine again! Just came back from Ontario, (visiting the falls) and saw some signs for Poutine, (although I think it may be severely degraded from the originals) so rather than buy some crap (it was fries but I think that was about all of the Poutine that it was....mozarella and some kind of wierd looking sauce) I just decided to have another go-round. :D

This time around, Imma leave the curds out to come to room temp first and probably halve them or something so they 'melt' better

Cheers to Poutine. :fro:

Back