triple threat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
wlp500
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5.1 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10-14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
malty and sweet with solid hop undertones
24 hours or so before brew day start a 2000ml starter using Whitelabs WLP500 trappist ale yeast.

start by boiling 3.25 gallons of water at near boil add 3.3lbs pilsner liquid malt and 1.5 oz Hallertau hops and boil for 60 minutes

at 30 minute mark add 1 oz of styrian goldings hops

at 15 minute mark add late addition extract add 6lbs extra light DME
also add 1.5lb clear belgian candy sugar

with 3 minutes remaing add 1oz saaz hops

strain and "sparge" hops cool below 80 degrees bring volume of primary to just above 5 gallons and pitch starter. ferment to completion.
:mug:

I am giving this a go. Any advice on fermentation? I see similar styles will do a slow fermentation going from 68• for a few days gradually up to 80•. Can anyone confirm? I plan on brewing in 2 daya

I am giving this a go. Any advice on fermentation? I see similar styles will do a slow fermentation going from 68• for a few days gradually up to 80•. Can anyone confirm? I plan on brewing in 2 daya
Sorry for the delay in responding, Here's my advice for what it's worth ..... IMHO start low and stay low. keeping it about 65-68 will keep the esters low letting more earthy flavors and aroma's come through. WLP500 can get pretty heavy on esters if you ferm to high.

So within the first two days, the krausen level went NUTS! i still have it in ice bath
So hopefully wheni get it up to temp, it will get active again. Did you experience
Something similar?

Im real excited about this, the taste is pretty good atm. Once it mellows out thisll be real good.

So within the first two days, the krausen level went NUTS! i still have it in ice bath
So hopefully wheni get it up to temp, it will get active again. Did you experience
Something similar?

Im real excited about this, the taste is pretty good atm. Once it mellows out thisll be real good.
NO DOUBT!!! I used a adequate starter for this and within three hours I had a 3" krausen which by the third day was already down to 1.018 which was below what beersmith projected. like I said as long as you stay below 70 ( pref no higher than 68) and finish it out it should mellow very nicely. good luck and let me know how it turns out in the end.

Hey sorry i didnt get back sooner. Maybe i should turn on notifications when someone replies?

Tonight i bottled this. OG was 1.131 FG 1.024 which brings us to 13.9% ABV. So very good there. Im a little concerned with the color and flavor, though. Its a 3.9° on the the color chart so it seems to be a bit too light for a trappist. To me the flavor seems more along the lines of a Belgian Pale Ale.

Ill add another update when i pop this in a month and let you know how it tastes.

Just a couple of points I need to make based on your last post. First why was your OG so high? did you add more extract or candi sugar? second this is not meant to be a " trappist" ale I understand the confusion as the yeast used is wlp500 the style is actually a belgian triple hence the name triple threat and your color is fine for the style as they are meant to be light colored and bodied. With these 2 points please keep this in mind when reviewing. Thanks

Apologies on the confusion. To answer your question, im not sure why it was so high. I followed the recipe you provided here with no other additions.
I also didnt mean to post a negative review, i will let you know my final thoughts after the tasting. Question, what did you use for priming? I did a brown sugar because i wanted to give it a more caramelly final taste.

No need to apologize I was more concerned you were making a style you didn't want to make and i didn't wan't you to feel either you did something outside the recipe or for that matter my recipe wasn't accurate. That's odd the high OG, maybe it was a mixing issue upon the airation / mixing of the wort after the boill, that's happened to me. Brown sugar is a great idea !! I'm going to try that also next time. Personally I either force carb in a keg or use priming sugar I believe I used 5 oz which should give you right around 2.9 volumes of carbonation.

Just popped this tonight and ive got to say, A+++ recipe. Its got a huge nose and smells of dried apples and alcohol. Texture is thick & chewy and very warm. The beer sugars roll off the back of the tongue and end with a very fruity sweetness that is very pleasant.

Back