Upgrading Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastings

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to make a few little upgrades and thought I would ask you guys for some help.

First, I would like to get a wort chiller for my keggle that i will be making. Does anyone suggest a good wort chiller for a reasonable price for the keggle?

Secondly, I would like to get a heat regulator for my Bayou SQ14 burner. Can anyone suggest a good regulator for a good price?

Thanks for the help,

Bob

Depends on what kind of chiller you want. I'd suggest a standard immersion chiller. If you are looking for a ballin price you should hang out in the classified section for a few weeks and swoop one up there, craigslist is another option. If you are less patient you can just go to midwest supply, austinhomebrew, northern brewer, or your LHBS and find them all for around the same price. Should cost around 100-115 bucks for a 50ft chiller. Copper or stainless both work fine, I have a copper chiller for my chiller and a stainless for my herms coil, both 50ft. I think if I had to do it again I'd go with a stainless chiller as well cause it doesn't tarnish and I am picky like that. The performance difference will be undecernable.

As for the regulator I don't have a clue. GL with the equipment.

Disagree on the immersion chiller... I don't know your system but i would go with a plate chiller. I found a 10 plate chiller that takes 5 gallons of boiling wort to pitching temp in less than 10 minutes at rebelbrewer.com for $90.00. I also got a 30 psi regulator from amazon.com yesterday for $25 and free shipping... Look around. Deals are everywhere. Cheers brother!:tank:

Don't get me wrong, plate clillers are great and will get your temps down very quickly. They can just be a huge pain to keep clean after some usage. If you go with a plate chiller, you definitely want to filter out the hops and trub coming out of the kettle.

+1 on the NTabb. They are a pain in the a$$ and there's some extra cost in the fittings, just a preference of mine. Seriously be aware of the cleaning in a plate chiller... It's a lengthy process.

so if i'am working out of a keggle and making like 5 gallon batches, should i get the 50 foot coil wort chiller??

Yup...because you can always use it for 10 gallon batches if you want to scale it up.

I have that chiller from ny brewsupply...very well made and the price is right...i'd recommend it. btw i have no relationship to nysupply.

Did some looking on e-bay today at chillers but I went by their "other name" on the search. Do a search for plate heat exchanger. The prices are awesome! $40 for a 10 plate chiller. Not meaning to push you back on the plate chiller side or anything but I wanted to share the find.

I think you already had the right idea, but just incase... get the 1/2" chiller, more surface area means more cooling.

Thanks a lot,

I was looking at the one that one of the guys suggested
1/2 Inch x 50 Foot Coil Wort Chiller with Garden Hose Fittings- $79.99
http://nybrewsupply.com/products/wort-chiller-copper-immersion.php

I like this one because of the garden hose i can just attach it to and also a 1/2 inch so i can put a pump to it,

If you're all about less complicated, equally efficient gear...you need to get on that. A lot of guys come full circle after using each chiller type and prefer IC's. There's merit in that.;)

Back