Using two different yeasts in the same wort liquid & dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
I found a Stella recipe I want to try, and it calls for 50% wlp029 kolsch and 50% german lager yeast that my brew store was out of. They did have a dry packet which I bought instead.

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=3584

So, should I make 2 seperate starters and pitch both at the same time, or make a starter for the liquid and pitch the dry on top of the wort?

The recipe says nothing about when to add the two yeasts, so I am assuming that they both go in at the same time.

-J

Hmm... That's an interesting recipe. I had always heard that if you combine 2 yeasts, that the stronger strain will just dominate and the other will basically contribute nothing to the finished product. Judging by the author's comment at the end of the recipe, he says you can notice contributions from both yeasts. Who knew? :D

As for when to add, I would assume they go simultaneously as well - if not, one is sure to overpower the other.

I'd make a starter for the liquid, otherwise the dry is likely to dominate (since you start with more viable cells in a pack of dry yeast than in a vial of liquid).

Interesting... just did a wheat beer with W1272 and W3056. Not a real expert, but can taste a blend of both. Any information out there on yeast 'aggression' and compatability of strains from a simultaneous pitch / medium on approximately equal counts?

You could also ferment half with one yeast and the other half with the second yeast. Combine in the bottling bucket and you will be sure to have even contribution from both strains.

I just checked with one of my yeast labs, they work with alot with saccharomyces for genetics and bio fuel research. They said to just make sure that you have high cell counts of each. One strain could multiply once every 1.5 hours while another could do it at 2 hours. So to avoid one over powering the other you want a good staters built up. Beyond that the outcome would just depend on each stains metabolic rate at fermentation temp.

Back