Beer and death?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All kidding aside, it is a sad thing. I live in a college town and this happens all the time. That being said, I wonder the percentage that is from Beer vs. Distilled alcohol. It is much easier to die from alcohol poisoning with the higher percentage stuff. Not saying it isn't possible, but it is less likely (from the actual alcohol).

I had a roommate in college (1972) who tried drinking a can of Bud for every year as a birthday challenge (20). Ended up in the hospital for a couple days. This was back when pull tabs had rings and he was sticking the rings on his finger to keep track. It was winter in Ithaca, NY and he almost lost that finger to frostbite.

zoebisch01 said:
All kidding aside, it is a sad thing. I live in a college town and this happens all the time. That being said, I wonder the percentage that is from Beer vs. Distilled alcohol. It is much easier to die from alcohol poisoning with the higher percentage stuff. Not saying it isn't possible, but it is less likely (from the actual alcohol).

Thats the odd thing though, the ages are 35-54? Most people in the states do our binge drinking in college. These brits are doing beer bongs well into middle age.

Maybe Ill get Tony Blair a case of mickeys and a funnel for Christmas.:ban:

david_42 said:
I had a roommate in college (1972) who tried drinking a can of Bud for every year as a birthday challenge (20). Ended up in the hospital for a couple days. This was back when pull tabs had rings and he was sticking the rings on his finger to keep track. It was winter in Ithaca, NY and he almost lost that finger to frostbite.

Cornell? Really nice up there, but lol @ frostbite and pull tabs. Kind of funny (wierd/strange) what you fail to think of ahead of time. I can't stand wearing rings in cold weather for that reason.

Torben Ulrich said:
Thats the odd thing though, the ages are 35-54? Most people in the states do our binge drinking in college. These brits are doing beer bongs well into middle age.

Maybe Ill get Tony Blair a case of mickeys and a funnel for Christmas.:ban:

Good point. Talk about midlife crisis alert!

I agree, distilled alcohol hits more quickly. I can attest to a bar where plaques were put up for anyone who could finish a Zombie and make it to the door unassisted. Pretty hard to find beers higher than maybe 7.2 % and most are 5% or less. But there are many factors to alcohol effect. Hell, you can even get drunk on 3.2 but it takes determination.

Genghis77 said:
I agree, distilled alcohol hits more quickly. I can attest to a bar where plaques were put up for anyone who could finish a Zombie and make it to the door unassisted. Pretty hard to find beers higher than maybe 7.2 % and most are 5% or less. But there are many factors to alcohol effect. Hell, you can even get drunk on 3.2 but it takes determination.

And unless you're really blasting them down, beer makes you space out your alcohol intake more. I knew a kid who did 16 tequila shots, one after the other, and had to be run out on a stretcher, but I can't imagine someone straight chugging 16 cans of beer, one after the other. Or, if I can imagine it, then they probably deserve whatever they get, sad to say.

Whelk said:
And unless you're really blasting them down, beer makes you space out your alcohol intake more. I knew a kid who did 16 tequila shots, one after the other, and had to be run out on a stretcher, but I can't imagine someone straight chugging 16 cans of beer, one after the other. Or, if I can imagine it, then they probably deserve whatever they get, sad to say.

Hehe, unless you were Andre the Giant lol.

Knowing the good ol' UK, this study will likely result in more restrictions on alcohol. I wouldn't be all that susprised if they ban it altogether before the end of the next century. Couple that with the fact that cameras are watching your every move a la Minority Report, and you've got one heck of a country. And I mean no disrespect, Orfy...America's on its way there too.

Back