how long before O2 is bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
So, this weekend me and a buddy are planning a double-brew. he's doing an extract w/grain, i'm doing an all-grain.

so he was going to brew while I mashed. seems like it'll work out great, but he will probably stick around for awhile, then drive home. my question is, how long does he have before he won't want any more o2?

i'm thinking he will be perfectly fine, but i was just curious.

Huh?

8ppm by DO meter or a 15 second blast of pure is usually enough.

Or, are you asking how long your brew buddy will mooch the air out of your house? That may take longer depending on available stock of homebrew.

If I am reading you right, he plans to oxygenate his beer at your place, then pitch the yeast when he gets home? And you are (sort of) worried that the oxygen you add to his wort will has been replaced by air during this time?

In a glass carboy with a solid bung, the gas exchange rate is likely to be very slow. Even driving, the O2 wont be able to get out.

In a bucket, I doubt the seal would be quite as good. So there would be some exchange for air. But air still contains oxygen, so it wouldn't be a complete loss. If he is driving a long way on bumpy roads with crappy shocks, just forget oxygenating and let the trip aerate the wort for him :D

I'm sure it'll be fine!

My understanding is that he will be aerating once he gets home? That shouldn't be a problem, anything before high krausen shouldn't cause problems.

sorry.

he's going to aerate/pitch at my house, sit around for a good 6-8 hours, then drive home.

i was wondering if aeration 8 hours after pitching is good or bag.

ok, maybe a better question is:

will a 90 minute mash be ok for this ESB?

9.25 maris otter
1.25 simpsons medium crystal

i'll probably have to mash for 90 while he gets his brewed/cooled.

thanks!

sorry.

he's going to aerate/pitch at my house, sit around for a good 6-8 hours, then drive home.

i was wondering if aeration 8 hours after pitching is good or bag.

It will be fine. The yeast will have barely taken off by then, so extra oxygen/agitation will certainly not hurt the beer. Oxygen is only really bad after fermentation has started.

[note: fermentation is the anaerobic process of converting the sugar to ethanol and CO2. Growth is aerobic.]

ok, maybe a better question is:

will a 90 minute mash be ok for this ESB?

9.25 maris otter
1.25 simpsons medium crystal

i'll probably have to mash for 90 while he gets his brewed/cooled.

thanks!

Normally, longer, cooler (149 ish) mashes are done to try to convert as much starch as possible for a dry or very big beer. But I think that normally conversion is complete at higher temps in a shorter time, like 20 or 30 mins(?) even though we give it a full hour anyway. So leaving longer shouldn't harm it too much? I'd mash at 1 qt/lb (a common bitter ratio) at 152/154 and just go with it. Don't quote me though if someone says otherwise!

Or: run out and get another burner! Having two can help for all grain anyway. I can heat sparge water on one while starting the boil on another. :D

I once moved a beer in my truck for 4 hours two days after fermentation started. It was fine.

yeah, that's the issue we have. he's coming over to brew on my equipment because he's still slow going getting his own, lol. he has everything except.....a kettle, lol.

so i gotta sacrifice my brew day to accommodate his! i'm sacrificing, here!

:)

I have on occasion re-aerated every six hours for two days. This increases yeast growth. Then I decided pitching on a cake was easier.

yeah, that's the issue we have. he's coming over to brew on my equipment because he's still slow going getting his own, lol. he has everything except.....a kettle, lol.

so i gotta sacrifice my brew day to accommodate his! i'm sacrificing, here!

:)

That is the mark of a true friend!

:mug:

Back