thinking of getting a bayou classic 3066a - but have a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I've read the previous post on this unit and they seem to be favorable for quick boil time etc.... but I have different question.

I think I am going to sell my wife on the purchase as a really good "low county boil" cooker.

Do any of you use the same stock pot for brewing and cooking? I guess I am concerned that even with washing well between uses my beer might taste like shrimp, or my shrimp might taste like beer (wait... that actually sounds good)...

Any reason now to use the 3066a? I found a pretty good deal on it. I mainly plan on using it to do full boils of malt extract brews.

I retired my 4gal stock pot to the Soup Pot, when i got my keggel. I wouldn't use the same pot for both. No matter how well you clean, some tiny particles are going to be left behind.

As for burners, I like the Bayou Classic SP50 for about $70

It all gets boiled and if you clean well you should be fine. I have boiled Lobster in my keggle and I don't have Lobster beers.

Sure, it'd be easier to have separate stock pots but, I don't worry about that. I wouldn't however fry a turkey in your beer kettle. Just too much of a pain to clean is all.

Agreed, I try to go against me SC roots and resist frying anything :)

mmm fried snickers bars... heh

I used to do this .... I didn't think there were any problems ... but I noticed when I got separate pots, 1 for the low country boil and a dedicated pot for brew, my head retention went up considerably. I didn't get any off flavors using a shared pot, but I think I was never able to get all the oils out from doing the low country boils, hence the lowed head retention.

You'll read lots of folks here who will say don't do it, but I'm with Gila on this - its just cooking. What we do when we say we're "brewing" is cooking, just like any other cooking. Take a slow cooker - does anyone worry that their chicken and rice is going to taste like chili because they use the same pot? Its a pot, not a holy shrine. Clean it, use it, clean it , use it again, no big deal.

Back