Installing a valve in a big trash can, where to put it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
All,

Quite awhile ago I picked up a 20G Rubbermaid Brute trash can to use as a primary fermenter for large batches. Still haven't had an opportunity to use it as I haven't brewed since Mid-April.

One thing I noted is it's pretty tall and would probably be a PITA to rack out of, so I want to put a stainless ball valve on it (Weldless).

The question is where. I'm thinking at about the 1 gallon level which should allow most of the yeast etc... to settle below the valve opening.

Any other suggestions on whether or not that would be the best place for 10G batches.

Will the plastic from a trash can not leach off flavors? I'm thinking it's most likely not a food safe material? Just a though.

Can't help you on the valve level.
I picked up one of these for 10 gallon batches. HDPE#2 and FDA Approved Food safe $30.
ThePol uses the 5G for no chill Brewing.

I saw the article in BYO where the guy was using the BRUTE trash can for a fermenter. He failed to mention how he gets his beer out once it is done.

You would have to elevate it above keg level whatever you do. I would put the spigot about 1.5 inches above the bottom.

Will the plastic from a trash can not leach off flavors? I'm thinking it's most likely not a food safe material? Just a though.

Can't help you on the valve level.
I picked up one of these for 10 gallon batches. HDPE#2 and FDA Approved Food safe $30.
ThePol uses the 5G for no chill Brewing.

The Rubbermaid Brute's are NSF food grade. There was a write up in a recent edition of BYO (He didn't install a valve though). They also seem to be very popular with wine makers. I paid 20 bucks for my 20G fermenter. I think it does seem odd to ferment in a trash can, and I wouldn't have considered it without the prior info.

I saw the article in BYO where the guy was using the BRUTE trash can for a fermenter. He failed to mention how he gets his beer out once it is done.

You would have to elevate it above keg level whatever you do. I would put the spigot about 1.5 inches above the bottom.

Thanks Ed. I was hoping you would respond especially after searching did reveal that you ferment in spigoted primaries.

The Rubbermaid Brute's are NSF food grade. There was a write up in a recent edition of BYO (He didn't install a valve though). They also seem to be very popular with wine makers. I paid 20 bucks for my 20G fermenter. I think it does seem odd to ferment in a trash can, and I wouldn't have considered it without the prior info.

Did not know this. Very cool. I don't get BYO.

FWIW, the big bucket makes a great fermenter, but it's too big to fit in my fermentation refrigerator. I'm just starting to taste the beer that was in this batch, and I'm picking up a lot of signs that the beer fermented too warm.

The liquid levels are what matter when siphoning. So while it is fuller, transfers to kegs shouldn't be a problem. It's when the Brute liquid level is low - it will stop flowing when the other vessel has the same liquid height.

I know I'm coming late to this thread - how did you fill the Brute? Put it in place and then fill it? Imagine it was FREAKIN' heavy.

Peristaltic pumps on ebay(used) go for less than march pumps. They self prime and can pull everything out of your fermenter. No lifting for you. :rockin:

-OCD

Latest posts

Back