Leak test of corny... full or empty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you fill yours with water and then bump up the pressure for leak tests or just full of CO2? I'm probably concerned over 2 cents worth of gas here so slap me if need be! :cross: Will the water absorb CO2 and cause a pressure drop as with beer which would falsely lead one to believe there was a leak (provided that you bump up the pressure then disconnect from the regulator)?

yes-- the water will be carbonated.

To test for leaks: put canister under pressure. Disconnect pressure. Listen. Do you hear hissing? Then it is leaking.

To test for a slow leak: put canister under pressure. Disconnect pressure. Let sit for a week. Go over and pull teh pressure release--- if nothing comes out then it has a leak.

If you don't trust those methods: fill with CO2, spray all fittings and seals with very soapy water. If bubbles form then that's where the leak is.

I suggest 30 lbs of pressure (more than your beer will ever be but well within limits of the system) and you can perform these tests either with or without water in the keg.

If I suspect a leak, I'll put about 5 psi on the can and invert it in the sink. If there are any bubbles, I take it out, reset the lid and try again. Then it's soapy time.

no matter how tight the seals are everywhere if the orings ain't got lube on them (especially the lid) they will leak slowly I've found for all mine most fo the time it is the lid becuase it is dry or not enough lube. I'm a liberal luber (ha) while storing then relube the lid while sanitizing while filling the keg.

jldesign said:
no matter how tight the seals are everywhere if the orings ain't got lube on them (especially the lid) they will leak slowly I've found for all mine most fo the time it is the lid becuase it is dry or not enough lube. I'm a liberal luber (ha) while storing then relube the lid while sanitizing while filling the keg.
Hmm. I've never used and lube on my keg seals and have never encountered any leaks. I guess I'm pretty lucky, eh?

I used a light coating of lube on all orings and the relief and poppets while re-assemblying the kegs. I pressed up one keg to 30psi and put a gauge on it. The next day it was down to 24psi and the next day down to 23psi. There is no fluid in the keg, just the gas. Has anyone tested in this method and determined what an acceptable leak rate is, or should it have held 30psi indefinitely? If this is poor, I will do the soap bubble test on it.

The problem with adding a gauge to the keg is that you can't be certain that the keg is the problem-- could be a problem with the gauge or the fittings associated with it.

Use the soap method.

Back