Apollo for dry hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience using Apollo for dry hops?

I've read some accounts of some heavy berry notes that fade from dry hopping with them, becoming something more like a dank Columbus kind of character.

Thoughts?

Gotta dry hop an IPA tomorrow. At this point thinking Nelson Sauvin and Simcoe and was considering throwing Apollo into the mix. In the boil itself I used equal parts Chinook, Centennial, Nelson Sauvin and Simcoe for aroma/flavor.

did you end up dry hopping with the apollo? I have an ipa with apollo and cascade, and I am going to dry hop tonight with both, so I was a little curious as to what I could expect. when I popped the lid on my bucket to take a gravity reading, I was hit with a warm dank wave of aroma...had to really search for any cascade notes.
I tasted the sample and that followed suit, but there was a definite grapefruity undertone at the back end, so that was nice IMO.

I'd like to hear how dry hopping with apollo hops went. I am making a doulbe IPA, OG =1.088. I am using apollo for bittering then adding cascade, citra and simcoe. I am wanting to use 2 oz of cascade and simcoe with 1 oz of apollo for dry hop but am debating swapping citra for apollo. Not sure yet, thoughts?

Fairport Brewing (NY) does a Apollo8 apollo hopped beer that is fantastic!:ban:
I have not really looked to buy any apollo hops yet, but in the future a apollo bittered and dry hopped IPA is on my must do list.:rockin:

Here is my recipe I have now for a IIPA. I was unsure about using the apollo hops for dry hopping and replacing them with citra? Thoughts on this.

Original Gravity: 1.085 (1.075 - 1.090)
Terminal Gravity: 1.021 (1.010 - 1.020)
Color: 11.18 (8.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 8.43% (7.5% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 105.8 (60.0 - 120.0)

Ingredients:
8.0*oz (4.7%) Caramel Malt 40L - added before boil, steeped 30*m
3.15*lb (29.6%) Marris Otter LME Light - added during boil, boiled 60*m
6*lb (56.3%) Dry Extra Light - added during boil 0 m
1*lb (9.4%) Honey - added during boil 0 m
.75*oz (5.9%) Apollo (19.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60*m
1.5*oz (11.8%) Cascade (7.9%) - added during boil, boiled 10*m
1.5*oz (11.8%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10*m
1*oz (7.8%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 1*m
1*oz (7.8%) Cascade (7.9%) - added during boil, boiled 1*m
1*oz (7.8%) Simcoe® (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 1*m
1*oz (7.8%) Apollo (19.0%) - added during boil, boiled 1*m
2.0*oz (15.7%) Simcoe® (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2*oz (15.7%) Cascade (7.9%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1*oz (7.8%) Apollo (19.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.0*ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale

I dry hopped, but it was mixed. In a 20 liter batch, I used 20 grams of Nelson Sauvin, 30 grams of Apollo and 40 grams of Mosaic.

The beer is still young, only 9 days in the bottle. But drank one last night with a friend. It has a very powerful grapefruit/cat piss character that's quite nice. I'm one of those guys who love the tom cat American hops and this mix definitely has that. The grapefruit character was surprising in how much it was really JUST LIKE grapefruit. Lovely.

Can't be sure what's coming from what, though I suspect the Apollo has a stronger character than the others. The hops were sticky with oils and resins. Much stickier than the other 2.

I'm going to brew the recipe above this weekend. We shall see how it goes!

I kegged my IPA after a 4 day dry hop (in a sack) where I used a half oz each of the Apollo and Cascade (3 gallon batch), and pulled a small sample last night after all of 2 days :D
it was a really sweet citrusy dank blend of flavor and aroma. I'm gonna have to pull another few ounces tonight and try to narrow down the flavors a bit more...because I could not put my finger on the citrus fruit I was detecting, but it wasn't the typical grapefruit. could be more of a "citrus punch" melange of orange, grapefruit and tangerine...but I won't commit to that description just yet!

Back