Diamond Lager Yeast - availability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_oracle

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Diamond Lager Yeast, White Labs has an article about is available?

I have tried the Salager 23 I think and it was okay. I am interested in brewing a lager without the worry of starter contamination.

I understand that Lallemand has not released this yeast yet as they are working on getting a consistant survival rate for the dry yeast. The nice thing about lallemand is they have a pretty high standard for their products.

denny

i noticed in your sig it says:

Primary(s):
A new Rye Ale Concoction
A lighter version of above

for the lighter version did you just sparge again after getting your first pot full to get the lighter version?

j_oracle said:
I am interested in brewing a lager without the worry of starter contamination.

Huh? You're always better off with a stater, irrespective of whether it's dry or liquid yeast.

subwyking said:
for the lighter version did you just sparge again after getting your first pot full to get the lighter version?

Yeah. I actually had left the wet grains in the lautertun overnight then decided to do this so I have a slight sour taste going on so it will be intersting to see how it turns out. :)

I sent lallmand and whitelabs an email regarding Diamond Yeast.

One of the Yeast gurus from whitelabs is on the brewing network at 5pm pacific time and will be answering questions taken over there chat serivce. I'll try and ask him then.

Whitelabs is supposed to be distributing Diamond for lallemand.

Yeah, slight sourmash. Thinking I should have used some noble hops instead of columbas/goldings for that. But I didn't have any around.

Now I try and keep a 100 grams of Saaz in the freezer in case it's needed. Nothing worse than getting all ready top brew and realising the ubrew's (only places to get hops here) are all closed early on saturdays!

Actually Tree Brewing will sellyou some hops buut there mon-friday and I just found that out. I heard the brewmaster will give you free yeast as long as you happen to purchase some beer at the same time. :)

Wow did not know so much feeling went into brewing from people on this forum.

Hell, I will admit it ever since I found out about Safale US-56 taste just like White Labs California I have jumped the liquid yeast boat for dry. I only use liquid if I have a wild hair to brew something "estery". Two packages of the 56 is still cheaper than one vial of White Labs and probably more than 4X the yeast cell count with zero starter time invested.

Results: cheaper, not wait time on starter, nor contamination probability brewing a starter (I have not had an issue with contamination with ale yeast, but my first starter with White Labs pislner yeast was a disaster: NOT sure what I did different to botch that batch up), dry yeast can really be the way to go. I was just excited to hear maybe there maybe a parallel to my US-56 experience in a lager version. I have tried the Saflager 23 but the web reviews are right it does exihibit quite a bit of "fruityness" for a lager yeast and I am looking for that perfect pilsner.

Thanks

The guy down in Texas

I think the main avantage to using liquid yeast is time after time consistancy of a brew. Dry yeasts tend to have a bigger variable on taste. But, yes, dry yeast takes off fast without a starter. I prefer using liquid yeast, but still use it as a backup in case of a stalled fermentation.

Back